Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Hantavirus Fuh_REAK OUT  (Read 149 times)

Online PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hantavirus Fuh_REAK OUT
« on: May 08, 2014, 10:28:25 PM »
Please, please, please talk me down.

We have recently noticed mice hanging about our abode. They have been helping themselves to free tours of our kitchen, leaving behind poop and we have trapped two so far. Of course, all of that is concerning enough, but we are having some work done in our basement, a place where we seldom go. We went down there the other day to clean up in preparation for the workers, and we discovered a disconcerting amount of mouse poop, like really vile amounts. The little effers have been having a good old time climbing all over storage shelves, old baby gear, you name it, they've pooped on it. It just so happens that I recently learned about hantavirus, so the timing really is impeccable.

I have been slowly working my way through the poop. A small amount of it I swept up which I have since learned is a no-no. But tonight is the kicker. I noticed some poop on this pack n play carrying case that we had up on a top shelf. I doused the poop that I saw with bleach and let it sit for 10 minutes, but I didn't wet the entire case. When I went to pull it down to put in a garbage bag, I felt like a wind or dust waft by my nose. I have a cold and I am really not on my A-game and have no idea why I was so cavalier about pulling something I couldn't see the top of down by my face. But, there it is. Now I am flipping out that I just directly inhaled hantavirus. B-; I started blowing my nose like a madwoman about 5 minutes after I did this, but can you really blow out hantavirus???

I am an intermittent hypochondriac-- in the past it's mostly been cancer (for which I have had several skin biopsies and one breast biopsy for suspicious lumps and bumps, all benign), but I also had this CRAZY rabies paranoia after I touched some water that might or might not have been drunk by a raccoon, gulp. My husband is REALLY sick of my obsessive thoughts about incredibly rare diseases transmitted by wildlife, but I know I am going to fixate on this until I either pass the incubation period unscathed or die  :P

The facts in my favor- there has never been a recorded case of hantavirus in my state, only 6 % of mice are infected, that poop could be really old and past the time when the virus could live on the poop or in the air, I don't even know what if anything I inhaled.

The facts not in my favor- I inhaled air that was near mouse poop. GASP.

HELP ME, I beg.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Anxiousmind77

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hantavirus Fuh_REAK OUT
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 10:22:51 PM »
Hello pantsyantsy! Ahhh you sound like me 2 weeks ago. You should look at my latest post! I was totally freaking out about the hantavirus, was literally on the verge of tears. Butttt it's been 2 weeks since exposed and ( knock on wood) I'm ok. Can u tell I'm still a bit paranoid? Lol. But anyway everyone I spoke to about this practically laughed in my face. From what I kno the virus is only carried by one type of mouse and these mice are usually found in rural areas. Also the virus is incredibly rare. Just take deep breath and try to keep your mind busy so you don't continue to think about it. I hope u feel better soon. Take care:)
Bookmark and Share

Online PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 11:35:36 PM »
Oh well...I am still in he process of de-pooping. I think I've got the most of it, but every time I close my eyes, all I can see in my mind's eye are those little black pellets. I am trying to have humor about this...but....holy smokes!!!!! This is so hurl-worthy, and I have exposed myself to so much bleach so this is definitely good for a lung cancer freak out at a later date  :yes:

So glad you are free and clear from the hantavirus, Anxiousmind. I did see your post. That must have just sucked beyond words to have to sweep it off the ground. YUCK YUCK YUCK.

Just to reiterate, it's really unlikely that I will come down with hantavirus, right?  :happy0151: I mean, I already know the answer to that, but I will continue to ask myself that question minute by minute until mid July when I know the incubation period has come and gone  :-* I can add that to my list of months that signal the end of an incubation period. August means I'm in the clear for rabies, (long story) LOLOL.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 06:06:36 AM »
I think our problem is there is too much information out there for us.  I never heard of hantavirus until I watched an episode of "Ice Road Truckers" several years ago.   A few months BEFORE that episode I had just put a car on the road that was sitting for months.   I was using it - using the heater... and then was having a problem so we looked under the hood and there were 2 dead mice on the engine in a nest!   The nest had all poop etc!  At the time I thought it was funny and felt sad for the mice.  If I knew about Hantavirus I would have been absolutely freaking (knowing the heater would be throwing around mice poop dust all over the inside of the car and me breathing it in for months!)  Needless to say nothing happened to me!  So I think you'll be fine too!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: