Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can someone please help me get a grip?  (Read 303 times)

Offline InTheMoment

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Can someone please help me get a grip?
« on: May 08, 2014, 08:14:33 AM »
I had a benign tumor removed from my armpit in December -- it was actually a breast tumor, but in my armpit.  I'm now obsessed with the fact that the contour of that armpit is different from the other.  I think I'd be less freaked out and just attribute it to the surgery, but I noticed it before the surgery (and even before I ever felt the tumor). 

The difference is subtle -- I have creases in both armpits (sort of an indented line that runs across them).  The area below the crease has a little fatty area that sticks out a tiny bit.  The side with the surgical scar  has an area that sticks out more dramatically than the other side.  It makes sense that it would stick out more directly under the scar, but it also sticks out more from the bottom.  Does that make ANY sense???

I made the mistake of reading that armpit swelling can be caused by breast cancer.  So, of course I'm worried that that's what's going on.  There's no palpable mass -- the areas both feel fatty and squishy, with the one with the scar just feeling a tiny bit bigger and like a more exaggerated version of the one without the scar.  I sometimes have different sensations in that breast as well -- not pain, or even really discomfort, just fleeting sensations.  What do they really mean when they talk about swollen armpits with regard to breast cancer?  Anyone know?    I can't even see a doctor right now because my husband took a job 1100 miles away and our new insurance doesn't cover any of the practices down here.  Added to the stress is the fact that my husband moved in March, but the kids and I stayed behind so they could finish the school year.  I've been a single mom for a few months and have been preparing for a cross-country move. 

Help me get some perspective  (or tell me to get to a doctor asap!).  Are your armpit symmetrical?
Bookmark and Share

Online rileybug

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can someone please help me get a grip?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 09:11:04 AM »
i would probably  see a doc where you are.Whatever it cost it cost.  At least get it looked at and it tooks serious book a app in the new location now.  Schools almost out so you'll be moving soon. p you'll have all you recors to take w you.

Bookmark and Share

Offline InTheMoment

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 10:01:10 AM »
HUH.  I guess I didn't expect to hear that I should rush to the doctor for mildly asymmetrical armpit contours with no actual masses.  Now I'm even more worried, but I suppose I have more to think about.

FWIW, my last mammo was 8 months ago and was normal.
Bookmark and Share

Online rileybug

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 10:52:38 AM »
 only sugested that for your peice of mind.  If not you'll worry about it and make it worse.Check it out-move on-put it to rest and enjoy the summer with the kiddos.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Simba456

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 01:39:15 PM »
Have you had allergies lately or been sick with something? I know that allergies or being sick (with some kind of cold or virus) can cause the lymph nodes in my armpits get swollen. Also, scars can sometimes become swollen over time..
Bookmark and Share

Offline Simba456

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 01:43:29 PM »
Also, a cancerous mass would be extremely hard and not squishy . My mom had a tumor in her arm and nothing about it felt squishy--it felt like an acorn.

If it would help put your mind at ease you could always find a doctor in a neighboring city that accepts your insurance.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SheWhoShallRemainNameless

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 03:55:32 PM »
Is it possible that it's just scar tissue?
Bookmark and Share

Offline InTheMoment

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 07:41:07 AM »
It's definitely not a lymph node, as it's not defined  in any way and it's way too soft to be scar tissue.  When my arms are down, I don't feel anything -- even when I poke around.

Really, it just feels like the fat pad (the one at the bottom of your arm pit) is more pronounced on one side than they other.  I notice it much more when I lay flat and stretch my arm over my head.  It's right under the scar, and the scar is indented, so I suppose that's why the fat pad below it is more pronounced.  I am REALLY trying to believe that it's that simple.
Bookmark and Share

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 07:59:08 AM »
Getting the stitches, etc, probably just squished some fat around or slightly changed the shape of that area. 

I won't tell you not to see your doctor, but I really doubt you have anything going on healthwise.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 09:51:22 AM »
I believe, after surgery, the body will fill any gaps (left by a surgery) with a little fluid and maybe fat. Assymetry is to be expected after a surgery, so what you're describing sounds pretty normal to me.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: