Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Chest Pain  (Read 87 times)

Online raggamuffin

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Chest Pain
« on: May 08, 2014, 04:57:37 AM »
The old anxiety favourite. Why is it always biased to the left side? When I first went to Dr with these anxiety pains, at a time when I was convinced I was dying he asked if they felt surface/muscular or a deeper pain. Sometimes I must admit I find it hard to tell. Past few days getting left side pain. Feels somewhat new, after 4 years of daily pains it's hard to tell what is new but this feels scary. Around left nipple area, pain feels kinda deep. left arm pains too. Hard to rationalize that it's not heart related. But obviously a heart attack 9 times out of 10 is going to be so pronounced there'd be no doubt. Can't really relax, i'm at work but already taken two time outs to try and calm down, wasting 25 mins of office time in trying to calm myself down and only been here 2 hours. It's hard to remind yourself you'll be ok when you get pains every hour of every day anywhere in the upper body. I keep trying to rationalize things but when something that feels new comes along I get scared and feel like i'm slipping into bad habits which just makes everything worse.

I know what he was getting at - was the pain heart related. So I'm 27 and had multiple ecg's. Had the Dr listen through a stethoscope whilst I deep breath five or six times, chest xrays etc. Always coming back fine and always told it's anxiety.

My first panic attack was sensation based, pins and needles, surge of adrenaline, racing heart and struggling to breathe with severe disorientation. Second panic attackers identical in symptoms but with one addition - chest pain. My dad is a heart attack survivor and so I Wentnor them when I had this attack. Unlike the first it lasted over an hour. Since then anxiety took hold. Didn't feel safe in my own body, worrying and fretting and hourly pains.

I wonder if the stress and trauma of that attack has caused the majority of my chest pains to be focused on the left side. Along with left arm pains etc. My body got so amped up in convincing myself that second panic attack was heart related that since then my mind and body are irrationally convincing myself that my heart is messed up.

Ed
Bookmark and Share
Feel free to add me on the book of faces - "Ed Raggamuffin Foulds"

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Chest Pain
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 06:04:24 AM »
Happens to me all the time.  The more you start to think you're having a heart attack the more you will perceive that you're having all the symptoms of a heart attack - which just happen to coincide with anxiety - vicious circle
Bookmark and Share

Offline insomniac

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 06:30:10 AM »
Like PatMob said, the more you think about it, the more its going to seem like a heart attack. This is exactly how my panic attack originate, ever since my first panic attack which was quite severe. Ever since I have anxiety and panic attacks. I have had dozens of EKGs and trips to the cardiologist and a echo stress test all came back clear. Its basically a muscle cramp.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 08:08:33 AM »
You've been told it's only anxiety and you gotta accept that.  :yes:

My chest pain always gets worse when I think about it. Pretty sure I have some inflammation on my chest joints from all the recent stress and anxiety attacks. It's nothing serious.
Bookmark and Share
Currently afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Tags: