Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Do you feel you're wearing out your welcome at the doctor's office??  (Read 272 times)

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
My doctor's office has never been anything but kind to me...but I can't help but think they must be rolling their eyes behind my back.  I have a simple CBC run, and I'm blowing up their phone the next day demanding the nurse read my results.  I'm worried that I'm like "the little boy who cried wolf", and one day they'll ignore something serious because  I'm such a nuisance.  I'm usually a ball of nerves when I visit...BP sky high.  Now I'm terrified of pancreatic ca but fear wasting their rresources.  This voice in my head says, "that's why you pay for insurance; go and clear your mind", but I feel as though I'd be wasting their time and my money.  Does anyone else fear they've worn out their welcome at the GP?  :fragend005:
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 13
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Well, as I mentioned in another post, my primary reason for getting a psychiatry referral was because I was so paranoid about how much I might be  bothering  my primary care doc even though she was nothing but kind and supportive. Actually though I've probably worn out my welcome MORE  at my psychiatrist's office because it was a relief being able to feel comfortable on just focusing on the anxiety in every embarassing or irrational detail, and  because I've had a couple bad episodes that I needed to come in for.  :spineyes:

That said: This is their job. Every job has challenges. You won't be the first person to panic over results and you won't be the last. They've seen this.  Now: yes, simple consideration of other human beings IS important. For example, it's perfectly fine to call for results the next day. However, no need to make a second call within 1-2 hours. The labs may not be  back yet. There may be an urgent case the   doc is  working on. They may need to research a bit on your results. It doesn't  mean "this patient is annoying" it simply means "these things take time"

Make your appointment, see  your doc, and appreciate that the office is a kind one. That's great! Hey, you're helping keep them in business. And  maybe the next time you pick up the phone and make an appointment say this "I'd like to talk to my doctor  about my anxiety"

:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I feel like this a lot.  I mentioned to my mom that I was probably annoying the hell out of our doctor (we see the same one; he's the best!) and she mentioned that to HIM when she next saw him - he just laughed and said I wasn't.  (Why my mother is talking about these things is something I do not know, but all's well that ends well I guess.)  I'm sure they run out of patience with us at times but for the most part, I don't think they really care.  They get paid all the same; it's their job. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Just because someone gets paid to do a  job doesn't mean they don't care.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
No, I mean don't care as in don't mind we're constantly there.  They see hundreds of people a week - I doubt they think too much about repeat visitors unless something is actually wrong.
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I don't go that often, but I wonder if there is a special mark in my file for hypochondriac!  :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
You're right, I guess perception plays a role. I honestly feel that's how many of us end up this way--we hold stuff inside and don't want to be a nuisance.
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Once, when I was actually doing okay with my HA and not going to the doctor nonstop, the nurse at the office pulled out my file, read it and said "Your last visit was 18 months ago?  That can't be right..."  :laugh3:  So I think they're definitely aware of my issues but they're kind enough to not bring them up unless they think it's the root of my issues. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I went in when my regular doc was out of town and his replacement was running hours late so the RN (one I didn't know) told me to put some Desitin on my crotch and if it wasn't better in 72 hours to come back.  By mid afternoon I was miserable so I went back.  I overheard her talking very loudly in the hall saying 'I think she's addicted!' and telling what she'd told me to do. 

The replacement doc came in and said 'Why I know you, Diane! I thought....'    I had a major yeast infection from the antibiotic they had given me for my second UTI in 2 months and got meds to take by mouth and a steroid to calm down the fire engine red skin.

When I saw my regular doc, I told him how embarrassed and HURT I was.  I also told him my first instinct had been to ask for her firing because if I could hear her, so could all the other patients, nurses, and maybe even people in the waiting room.  HIPPA and all.  Anyhow, I asked him to speak with her so she wouldn't do that to someone else and he said 'Is that enough for you?' and I assured him it was.  THIS time.

I am always VERY HONEST with any medical person about my HA and anxiety after having cancer twice and most of them tell me HA is very, very normal after cancer. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline yahoo2000

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
I have kaiser, so I'm able to email my docs  :spineyes: I sent countless of emails, made tons of online appointments at of panic and almost always canceled of the day of appointment because whatever symtom I had went away. It takes week to book an appointment with kaiser.

So it's been so bad, I emailed my doc about my concern about Alzheimer disease (I found out my grandfather has it - but he's alomst 86) and she told me to see my psychiatrist instead. I thought that was cold.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: