Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: SSRI meds?  (Read 267 times)

Offline Purple22

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
SSRI meds?
« on: May 06, 2014, 09:18:56 PM »
I have recently went to my doctor for a checkup and a refill, but I forgot to ask about other SSRI. I have been thinking about it, if like Celexa would help with my anxiety instead of relying on Benzos. Has anyone taken Celexa or other SSRI?
Bookmark and Share
Courage is knowing what not to fear. -Plato #courage

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: SSRI meds?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 11:41:39 PM »
Hi Purple...  My name is Chuck and I am one of the Global Moderators here on Anxiety Zone.

You are wise to be investigating anti-depressants, such as those in the SSRI classification (Celexa/Citalopram).

Benzodiazepines are a form of anti-anxiety medication that were designed for short term use, such as to treat situation anxiety.  They should not be considered a form of long term treatment for more chronic anxiety conditions such as GAD or OCD.  The benzodiazepines can lose their effectiveness over time, and they can also lead to physical and psychological addition.

When medication is considered to treat anxiety disorders, anti-depressants are the drug of choice.  Anti-depressants actually have a slightly better track record of treating anxiety vs. depressive disorders.

I take Celexa, Purple.  I have been on 20 mg for a little over 5 months now, and it has helped me tremendously.  I would say that I am 90%+ improved over 5-6 months ago.

I encourage you to talk to you physician about anti-depressant therapy.

The very best to you, Purple!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ringil

• Lost Cat
  • Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Ringil & The 3 Mouseketeers
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 12:21:11 AM »
I have heard enough negatives about SSRIs to make me very leery of them. They no doubt help some, even many people but if they go wrong, it is a very, very unpleasant wrong. I hope you get multiple opinions.

I've used Alprazolam for almost 2 decades. The most I've taken in a day was 1 mg. but my normal dose is .667 mg.

If it works, don't be in a hurry to fix it. Be an informed consumer.

Bookmark and Share
Anything I post is an opinion© and not necessarily a fact™. I've often benefitted from anecdotal guidance. Your mileage may vary.

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 03:44:56 PM »
I take Lexapro and its been pretty good for me.  I also take Toporal which is a  beta-blocker.  It helps keep my heart rate/bp down so it doesn't spike during panic.  Don't expect miracles from SSRI's alone.  A combo of meds/ behavioral therapy is the best. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline maginno

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 04:16:21 PM »
I take 40mg citalopram and am in my 2nd month now.  Things have leveled out quite a bit.  I also had a TCA added to help with some comorbid issues and on my 2nd full week of it with the citalopram.  Things are really smoothing out and letting me focus on mentally preparing to learn to handle things on my own in the future.  However I fully expect to me on these meds for a while and I don't know if I mind that really.  I am enjoying things like never before and making amends for things I did in the past. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Revenga1979

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 09:45:17 AM »
I took Celexa for any years with my depression, but I never found that it helped my Anxiety even on the highest dosage.  It worked really well for the depression though.
One side effect though, it made me gain like 40 lbs which I couldn't lose while on the medication , despite eating healthy and working out 5 days a week for an hour or more a day.  So I decided to go off Celexa since the impossible to lose weight was making me depressed again.
A year and a half after going off the meds I'm back down to my pre Celexa weight.

I just started taking Cipralex now. We will see how that goes
Bookmark and Share

Tags: