Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: This has NEVER happened to me before and I'm freaking out  (Read 348 times)

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
This has NEVER happened to me before and I'm freaking out
« on: May 06, 2014, 03:44:20 AM »
I'm really scared right now. I was just sleeping, I had just fallen asleep and I began to dream. I don't remember what I was dreaming, but I woke up and for the first 10-15 seconds, I was trying to remember who was sleeping in the bed next to me. I kept thinking maybe it was one of my girlfriends, but I knew it wasn't right. I was in a panic. Then it was almost like I "came to" and realized, "duh" it's my husband....as always. Could this have been due to the fact that I was half awake/half asleep? I'm really scared I've got a brain tumor!!!!!!!!

I've never EVER experienced something like this before. Ever. I'm just super scared. I've read of people having brain tumors who can't remember things and they experience things like what just happened to me. It was like I was searching, really trying to figure it out for a good 10-15 seconds. I would think it's one of my girlfriends, and think "no, that's not right". I even got up out of bed and ran into the bathroom in a panic because I couldn't remember. Then I remembered it was my husband. I'm so so scared.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: This has NEVER happened to me before and I'm freaking out
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 05:39:51 AM »
You may have been dreaming about one of your friends just before you sort of woke up. Then thought the person next to you in the bed was the same person in your dream. These would be lucid dreams. Most people do forget their dreams within 5 seconds of wakening up. I would say, not to worry about it. Carry on life as normal. If you let it get under your skin it may drag you down. Lots of people wake up confused. I have woke up and wondered what house I was in. Thinking I was not in my own house. Until I fully woke up. I would class it as normal.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 07:14:52 AM »
I have woken up and wondered where I am or which bedroom I am in. It's prtty normal if you are dreaming and suddenly wake up like that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 09:12:04 AM »
You were probably still asleep or partly asleep.  I've been kind of awake but still in a dream before.  It's surreal and weird.  A couple of times in that state I've forgotten my girlfriend's name. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 10:03:56 AM »
You were in a twilight sleep.   I have slept walked before as a kid and SORT of remembered - like I recall jumping out of bed and touching the rug in a panic wondering what that light was (the moon shining through the window) - so it DOES happen.  Nothing to worry about.  You didn't actually sleep WALK, but it's the same principle. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline InTheMoment

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 01:32:34 PM »
No worries -- this has happened to me for years and years and years!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 03:51:47 PM »
This just doesn't seem like a normal occurrence. I was trying so hard to remember and I couldn't. That's when I started to panic. Because I couldn't remember, but I was fully awake - turned lights on and everything. I was trying to think of who it was in bed next to me and I went through two different people and in mind I thought "no that isn't right." But I was awake and couldn't remember.
Bookmark and Share

Online vardnas

• Rec's: 96
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 04:27:54 PM »
Sure it feels weird and a little scary, but just because what happened isn't "normal," that doesn't mean it signifies something bad. I've had that experience too where, let's say I'm house sitting or on vacation, where I'll wake up and it'll take me a while to remember that I'm not at home. It's weird and disorienting. This kind of thing is made doubly-bad by anxiety, which does a doozy on sleep patterns and habits. When my anxiety was very bad, I would routinely wake up in a fright, feel like I couldn't move, or feel like my (generally disturbing dream) was continuing in reality for a few moments.

Immediately panicking and thinking, "it must be a brain tumor!" is not doing you any favors. I know it's pointless to say "don't do that," when you're in the state you're in, but if you haven't already, you may want to look into possible anxiety treatment options and, in the meantime, help yourself out by trying to curb the habit of googling health information and the like.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 07:21:24 PM »
Well I had an appointment today with my endocrinologist (thyroid Dr.) for a routine thyroid check and I explained to him what happened last night. He said that he really doesn't think I have a brain tumor...unless it happens again and again, and then we need to "scan my head" He also did a neuro test on me and said I passed with flying colors. So....here's to praying it NEVER happens again!

I also called our church and set up an appointment to meet with my pastor next week. We can't afford counseling/therapy and medication is out of the question - at least for now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 06:05:03 AM »
So you woke up and were momentarily confused and that makes you think you have a brain tumor?  No offense but that seems like your reaching very very very deep into the bag of hypochondria .
Bookmark and Share

Tags: