Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: anticipatory anxiety before going out in public?  (Read 186 times)

Offline corwin

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
anticipatory anxiety before going out in public?
« on: May 04, 2014, 09:27:28 PM »
so tomorrow i'm going to see my favorite band play live. naturally i should be nothing but excited, right? well, i AM excited, to an extent, but i'm also already feeling panicky at the idea of feeling ill while i'm there. needless to say, it's kind of a huge damper on the excitement, which is depressing.

i'm sitting here thinking about all the opportunities i might have tomorrow to feel sick or have a panic attack. the concert is two hours away, so there's the fear of getting carsick. then i'll be in a city i've never been before (something that used to excite me, but now only makes me feel panicky ever since my anxiety flare-up since i'm always wondering where the closest hospital is). then i'll be in a crowd of people, which would be a nightmare if i were to suddenly pass out or throw up for whatever reason. i'm terrified of something astronomical happening to me physically that will ruin the entire night.

this isn't the only time i've had this sort of preemptive anxiety. my symptoms are always ten times worse when i'm in any sort of public setting because i'm focusing on them so much more intensely than i do when i'm safe at home in my bedroom. does anyone else notice this with their anxiety and how it seriously dampens the excitement of situations that SHOULD be positive ones? and if so, how do you combat those fears? i just want to have ONE good night without panicking about how i'm feeling. just once, i want to forget about my anxiety and feel like myself again. but if i'm already feeling this nervous just at the prospect of getting sick tomorrow, the chance of that is pretty small, and i want to fix that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline doug65

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: anticipatory anxiety before going out in public?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 12:34:58 AM »
Speaking from experience, go see your favorite band.  Do NOT let anxiety get the best of you.  I have found getting out and doing things is a great way to beat anxiety.  It'll take time, but it will happen.  We've all been there one time or another.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline ProofAutumn8246

• They don't think it be like it is but it do.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 12:56:51 AM »
Yeah, whenever I'm supposed to go hang out with my friends I always sit around thinking of how to get out of it, thinking of how miserable I'll be. But I force myself to go and I almost always have a great time! I'm always happy I forced myself through it. You will be too, just go to the show!
Bookmark and Share
In the scheme of things it doesn't matter much.~

Offline corwin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 02:14:41 AM »
thank you guys! i'm going to try really hard not to focus on how i'm feeling physically and just try and enjoy the night. i've wasted a lot of experiences that could have been fun if i hadn't been so anxious the whole time and i don't want this one to be like that. (and in hindsight i get so annoyed with myself afterwards because i spent all that time worrying and nothing bad happened.) i'll update tomorrow with how the show went!
Bookmark and Share

Offline ProofAutumn8246

• They don't think it be like it is but it do.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 02:17:14 AM »
Have a lot of fun, dude!
Bookmark and Share
In the scheme of things it doesn't matter much.~

Offline corwin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 01:20:43 PM »
soooooo this isn't good. i'm having motion sickness even while sitting perfectly still, my ears feel weird, my eyes are jumpy and unfocused, and i'm getting vertigo spells that make me feel like throwing up. brain tumor fears abound.

we haven't even left the house yet.

:fragend005:
Bookmark and Share

Offline AOKAY

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 03:10:02 PM »
All of your latest symptoms are anxiety-driven.  I do the same thing to myself before a big day out of the house.  You can work through it.
I admit that I often use a low dose of Xanax to get through this anticipatory anxiety, taking it an hour or so before it is time to leave the house.  But it works and you might want to consider looking into this in the future.
If I had cancelled every time I had this anticipatory anxiety, I would never leave the house, and that's not a good thing.  Go, have a good time, and you'll be glad you did.
Bookmark and Share

Offline corwin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 01:37:31 AM »
i just got back from the concert and you guys were totally right - i'm SO glad that i went, because it was one of the best experiences of my life. the only times i felt anxious/sick were when we were waiting in the long line to get into the venue (since i had time to myself to start thinking about my anxiety) but the moment we got in and the show started, all of my symptoms VANISHED and i felt like my old self again. this gives me so much hope because i know that if i felt completely fine while being distracted with something positive, then that means i can really kick my anxiety to the curb by surrounding myself with more positive things to focus on rather than having too much time to myself to theorize and worry about my health. just knowing that i got through it without a panic attack is rewarding enough, but knowing that i actually had FUN for once makes it even better. i honestly feel like tonight was a huge revelation to me and i hope i can keep up this newfound confidence because it feels great.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: