Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Klonapin  (Read 103 times)

Offline Beegee

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Klonapin
« on: May 04, 2014, 06:38:10 PM »
Hey everyone,
So over the past four years I have experianced 3 seperate
Times of terrible anxiety and panic attacks that lasted around a
Month before I could snap myself out of it without meds.  I unfortunately am experiencing another bad spell of panic and have been perscribed 1mg klonapin as needed.  Before I was able to go drug free because I was on school and had a great network of friends around me so I was able to take my mind off the feelings every now and then and my schedule wasn't as busy.  I recently moved and started a full time job so that support group isn't as accessible as before.  Over the last few weeks I have been very reluctant to take the klon because of all the negative information I read about it.  I have had good days and bad days without it but after talking to my pdoc he feels i should take the klonapin for a week straight to try to have a good week at work and prove to myself life can go on.  I NEVER take the full 1mg dose and I have been feeling more positive latley so if I were to follow his advise and maybe take .5mg for a week straight would I had to taper after? Like I said these panic attacks usually come in waves and last
For around a month and them I'm fine for a few years.  I have beaten it before without meds and while I do I think I solid week without any attacks would be helpful I am still a littler worried to take the drug every day.  I have never had a very addictive personality. I have been perscribed ADD medication for years
And have been able to take very long breaks without them if I was on a Holliday or weekends with no withdrawl symptoms.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Beegee

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Klonapin
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 06:45:13 PM »
Quick side note when I take the klonapin I never feel buzzed or euphoric I just feel normal again when Having a panic attack so it's not like I am chasing a high here or anything I'm just trying to get back to the happy place I was before in the fastest and most effective way possible and was seeing if anyone else had similar stories.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Klonapin
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 07:55:35 PM »
if I were to follow his advise and maybe take .5mg for a week straight would I had to taper after? Like I said these panic attacks usually come in waves and last For around a month

No, you will not have to taper off Klonopin if you take it daily for a week. Usually you need to take benzodiazepines every day for a month or two before dependence becomes an issue, and some never develop dependence (which BTW is not addiction, but this is).

Quick side note when I take the klonapin I never feel buzzed or euphoric I just feel normal again

This is because benzodiazepines (BZDs) return your brain to a more "normal" state. Those of us with anxiety disorders have fewer benzodiazepine-GABA binding sites1 and the ones we do have are less sensitive than normal. BZDs overcome these deficiencies and allow the brain the function as it should.

Ian

References:

[1]
Hasler G, Nugent AC, Carlson PJ, et al. (2008)
Altered cerebral gamma-aminobutyric acid type A-benzodiazepine receptor binding in panic disorder determined by [11C]flumazenil positron emission tomography.
Arch Gen Psychiatry. Oct;65(10):1166-75 (Abstract)

Geuze E, van Berckel BN, Lammertsma AA, et al. (2007)
Reduced GABAA benzodiazepine receptor binding in veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder.
Mol Psychiatry. 2008 Jan;13(1):74-83 (Abstract)

Cameron OG, Huang GC, Nichols T, et al. (2007)
Reduced gamma-aminobutyric acid(A)-benzodiazepine binding sites in insular cortex of individuals with panic disorder.
Arch Gen Psychiatry. Jul;64(7):793-800. (Abstract)

Bremner JD, Innis RB, Southwick SM, et al. (2000)
"Decreased benzodiazepine receptor binding in prefrontal cortex in combat-related posttraumatic stress disorder."
Am J Psychiatry Jul; vol 157(7):1120-6 (Abstract)

Bremner JD, Innis RB, White T, et al (2000)
"SPECT [I-123]iomazenil measurement of the benzodiazepine receptor in panic disorder."
Biol Psychiatry  Jan 15; vol 47(2):96-106 (Abstract)

Malizia AL.  (1999)
"What do brain imaging studies tell us about anxiety disorders? "
J Psychopharmacol Dec; vol 13(4):372-8 (Abstract)

Morimoto K. 1999
Benzodiazepine receptor imaging in the brain: recent developments and clinical validity
Kaku Igaku. May;36(4):307-13. (Abstract)

Malizia AL, Cunningham VJ, Bell CJ, et al. (1998)
"Decreased brain GABA(A)-benzodiazepine receptor binding in panic disorder: preliminary results from a quantitative PET study."
Arch Gen Psychiatry Aug; vol 55(8):715-20 (Abstract)

Tokunaga M, Ida I, Higuchi T, Mikuni M. (1997)
"Alterations of benzodiazepine receptor binding potential in anxiety and somatoform disorders measured by 123I-iomazenil SPECT."
Radiat Med May-Jun; vol 15(3):163-9 (Abstract)

Uchiyama M, Sue H, Fukumitsu N, et al. (1997)
"Assessment of cerebral benzodiazepine receptor distribution in anxiety disorders by 123I-iomazenil-SPECT: comparison to cerebral perfusion scintigraphy by 123I-IMP."
Nippon Igaku Hoshasen Gakkai Zasshi Jan; vol 57(1):41-6 (Abstract)
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: