Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Klonapin  (Read 183 times)

Offline Beegee

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Klonapin
« on: May 04, 2014, 06:38:10 PM »
Hey everyone,
So over the past four years I have experianced 3 seperate
Times of terrible anxiety and panic attacks that lasted around a
Month before I could snap myself out of it without meds.  I unfortunately am experiencing another bad spell of panic and have been perscribed 1mg klonapin as needed.  Before I was able to go drug free because I was on school and had a great network of friends around me so I was able to take my mind off the feelings every now and then and my schedule wasn't as busy.  I recently moved and started a full time job so that support group isn't as accessible as before.  Over the last few weeks I have been very reluctant to take the klon because of all the negative information I read about it.  I have had good days and bad days without it but after talking to my pdoc he feels i should take the klonapin for a week straight to try to have a good week at work and prove to myself life can go on.  I NEVER take the full 1mg dose and I have been feeling more positive latley so if I were to follow his advise and maybe take .5mg for a week straight would I had to taper after? Like I said these panic attacks usually come in waves and last
For around a month and them I'm fine for a few years.  I have beaten it before without meds and while I do I think I solid week without any attacks would be helpful I am still a littler worried to take the drug every day.  I have never had a very addictive personality. I have been perscribed ADD medication for years
And have been able to take very long breaks without them if I was on a Holliday or weekends with no withdrawl symptoms.  Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Beegee

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Klonapin
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 06:45:13 PM »
Quick side note when I take the klonapin I never feel buzzed or euphoric I just feel normal again when Having a panic attack so it's not like I am chasing a high here or anything I'm just trying to get back to the happy place I was before in the fastest and most effective way possible and was seeing if anyone else had similar stories.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 133
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Klonapin
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 07:55:35 PM »
if I were to follow his advise and maybe take .5mg for a week straight would I had to taper after? Like I said these panic attacks usually come in waves and last For around a month

No, you will not have to taper off Klonopin if you take it daily for a week. Usually you need to take benzodiazepines every day for a month or two before dependence becomes an issue, and some never develop dependence (which BTW is not addiction, but this is).

Quick side note when I take the klonapin I never feel buzzed or euphoric I just feel normal again

This is because benzodiazepines (BZDs) return your brain to a more "normal" state. Those of us with anxiety disorders have fewer benzodiazepine-GABA binding sites1 and the ones we do have are less sensitive than normal. BZDs overcome these deficiencies and allow the brain the function as it should.

Ian

References:

[1]
Hasler G, Nugent AC, Carlson PJ, et al. (2008)
Altered cerebral gamma-aminobutyric acid type A-benzodiazepine receptor binding in panic disorder determined by [11C]flumazenil positron emission tomography.
Arch Gen Psychiatry. Oct;65(10):1166-75 (Abstract)

Geuze E, van Berckel BN, Lammertsma AA, et al. (2007)
Reduced GABAA benzodiazepine receptor binding in veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder.
Mol Psychiatry. 2008 Jan;13(1):74-83 (Abstract)

Cameron OG, Huang GC, Nichols T, et al. (2007)
Reduced gamma-aminobutyric acid(A)-benzodiazepine binding sites in insular cortex of individuals with panic disorder.
Arch Gen Psychiatry. Jul;64(7):793-800. (Abstract)

Bremner JD, Innis RB, Southwick SM, et al. (2000)
"Decreased benzodiazepine receptor binding in prefrontal cortex in combat-related posttraumatic stress disorder."
Am J Psychiatry Jul; vol 157(7):1120-6 (Abstract)

Bremner JD, Innis RB, White T, et al (2000)
"SPECT [I-123]iomazenil measurement of the benzodiazepine receptor in panic disorder."
Biol Psychiatry  Jan 15; vol 47(2):96-106 (Abstract)

Malizia AL.  (1999)
"What do brain imaging studies tell us about anxiety disorders? "
J Psychopharmacol Dec; vol 13(4):372-8 (Abstract)

Morimoto K. 1999
Benzodiazepine receptor imaging in the brain: recent developments and clinical validity
Kaku Igaku. May;36(4):307-13. (Abstract)

Malizia AL, Cunningham VJ, Bell CJ, et al. (1998)
"Decreased brain GABA(A)-benzodiazepine receptor binding in panic disorder: preliminary results from a quantitative PET study."
Arch Gen Psychiatry Aug; vol 55(8):715-20 (Abstract)

Tokunaga M, Ida I, Higuchi T, Mikuni M. (1997)
"Alterations of benzodiazepine receptor binding potential in anxiety and somatoform disorders measured by 123I-iomazenil SPECT."
Radiat Med May-Jun; vol 15(3):163-9 (Abstract)

Uchiyama M, Sue H, Fukumitsu N, et al. (1997)
"Assessment of cerebral benzodiazepine receptor distribution in anxiety disorders by 123I-iomazenil-SPECT: comparison to cerebral perfusion scintigraphy by 123I-IMP."
Nippon Igaku Hoshasen Gakkai Zasshi Jan; vol 57(1):41-6 (Abstract)
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all suggestions are general in nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags:

anything