Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What does a standard echocardiogram reveal?  (Read 148 times)

Offline spaceplus

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What does a standard echocardiogram reveal?
« on: May 03, 2014, 08:50:30 AM »
I am a cardiophobe/panic sufferer who was recently admitted to the ER/hospital during a panic attack. I had a resting echocardiogram two days ago and was told by a hospital cardiologist that the results were 'fine' and showed 'nothing abnormal', or other vague (but approving) words to this effect. I was not told anything specifically about what the test revealed about my heart, other than that I do not have Mitral Valve Prolapse or other valve irregularities.

With no further discussion, the cardiologist then scheduled me for a stress test next week.

I am wondering what exactly an echocardiogram tells the cardiologist about my heart? I understand that it provides an image of the heart and its valves, so any structural abnormality can be detected. But I also read online that an echocardiogram can measure something called EJECTION FRACTION. Would a standard reading of a standard echocardiogram involve the cardiologist interpreting my Ejection Fraction, or is that something that may or may not be looked into, at the doctor's discretion?

I am anxious to know how much significance I should attach to having 'passed' the standard echocardiogram.

What information does a standard echocardiogram reveal about the health of my heart?  Any opinions welcome/appreciated.

Bookmark and Share

Online Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What does a standard echocardiogram reveal?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 03:12:59 PM »
Yes an echo does show EF. I have had two echos done and both tomes knew my EF. It shows blockages, structure, pretty much everything. But let's say you have a high heart rate occasionally. The echo normally will not show what is causing this. In that case, you would visit an electrophysiologist and they would run a catheter to your heart and shock it to see if they can get the high heart rate again to see the electrical path that the blood is taking.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: