Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Another emetophobe. Trapped in my apt with a sick person. Please help!  (Read 174 times)

Offline luckyopal

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hey... I feel odd posting like this my first time on the forum, but I'm freaking out here.

I have GAD and panic disorder comorbid with depression, and a crippling case of emetophobia.  I've been dealing with all of these for a long time (they started when I was 14; I'm now 22). 

I need help, or just someone to listen to me, because I have a weird problem only you guys will probably understand.  I'm a poor recent college grad and live in a tiny apartment with a roommate.  We aren't close, but we've been sharing the place for a year.  Problem is, today he has some kind of gastric illness and I'm terrified!  I feel like everything around me is contaminated, and that I might be sick too and not know it yet.  I haven't been sick that way since before I was a teenager; I would rather die than have to... you know.  So I'm really, REALLY scared of getting sick.

I also feel guilty because I'm not being better to my roommate!  I'm sure he'd like some support, but I'm trying my best to hold myself together.  He knows I have this phobia and is respectful about it, but I don't think he knows the extent of it.  I managed to bring some medicine to his room, but even after washing my hands several times I still feel contaminated.

I can't leave my apartment since I live in a dangerous area and it's nighttime.  I'd just like it if someone could give me some advice, or support.  My parents are great, but I often feel like no one completely understands how irrational my mind gets in situations like this.

If you read all this, thank you for hearing me out.  I know it was a bit long and rambly.   :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
I have been in the exact same situation with the exact same problem. All you can do is hope you don't catch it. I live at home with my mother and she was sick a fair few times this past year. We don't want to ignore them. But we also don't want to catch what they have. We can go through the symptoms, as if we have something, even if we don't have anything. Up until the person is better and we know we are fine. Just make sure to wash your hands if in contact. Really there is little else you can do. There is nothing saying you will catch it. I never caught anything off my mother. I would do the shopping for her daily. Clean the house. Just help out until she was better. All the time with that little worry in the back of my mind. That ' what if I catch this '. I guess I knew there would be nothing I could do if I did catch it. But with a bit of luck I didn't catch it. Was just happy for that. To get away with it. That is what it really feels like. Like we have escaped something major. That is how bad it can be for us. So I am with you on this one. Hope you don't catch anything.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline luckyopal

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Glad to hear it's not just me.  I woke up and my roommate was out, so I guess he must be feeling better (hopefully).  I'm still scared to touch anything in my house, though.  It's probably a funny sight, seeing me turn off faucets and light switches with my elbows.   :laugh3:

Thanks for hearing me out.  It's a really nice feeling just to know I'm not alone.  Now I have to rely on my hygiene skills and functioning immune system, and try not to freak out again.   :P  Here goes nothing!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Oh wow I could have written that!!  When my daughter was little and would just say, "My stomach hurts" I'd go into full panic mode.  If she did get sick I didn't eat the entire next day, I couldn't sleep, I'd be walking around shaking!  And it's even worse than with a roommate because I was her mother and had to take care of her and not let her know I was so bad.  I'd sterilize everything continuously and wash my hands until they were raw!  And to keep it together I'd keep telling myself, "Oh she just ate something, it's not contagious"
I hope you never got sick!!! (you would have by now if you didn't, so you are out of the woods)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: emetophobia