Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Pernicious anaemia  (Read 231 times)

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Pernicious anaemia
« on: May 02, 2014, 01:59:21 AM »
Hi everyone.

I've been doing so. So well lately. I've been not thinking about my health at all and I've felt great.

I went to the doctor and told her I was feeling tired and she ordered a blood test as
I'm vegetarian and have been low in iron before.

It showed my iron was slightly low. But the other thug was that my b12 was quite low. She gave me an injection and told me I have to have another couple over the next few months before they test my blood again.

Everything else in my blood was great, liver and thyroid as well. So I know my diet is good. I've been eating more eggs lately which are high in b12 so this has completely confused me.

She gave me a fact sheet which said if a person has low b12 and it isn't caused by a poor diet it can be pernicious anaemia which is classified as an auto-immune disease and usually occurs in people who already have another auto-immune disease.

So now I'm flipping out about that god forsaken standby of Ms which is an autoimmune disease.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

Does anyone have pernicious anaemia or know its relation to ms?

This is such a setback. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pernicious anaemia
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 02:21:15 AM »
...or is it mostly associated with stomach and digestive system auto-immune diseases??

I don't understand this. The fact sheet says its most common in people over 50. I'm 26 and I have had so many weird things lately that apparently don't happen until people get much older.

Sciatica
Occular hypertension
And now this

I eat well, exersise and generally look after myself really well. How can this keep happening??
Bookmark and Share

Offline ProofAutumn8246

• Rec's: 1
  • They don't think it be like it is but it do.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 04:19:55 AM »
It kinda feels like you're jumping the gun here. If your doctor thought you had anaemia, she would have told you.

For right now, maybe you could research more foods you could eat with the B12 to make sure you're getting enough!

Bookmark and Share
In the scheme of things it doesn't matter much.~

Offline Gomubukai

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 04:56:14 AM »
Thanks for replying!

She told me that at this point food won't really help. I'm not sure if that's because the levels are too low and it needs to be built up faster with the injections or what.

She said too that it usually takes quite a while to have the b12 levels drop and its probably snuck up on me.

I don't know anyone who's has this and I don't know how common it is.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 06:08:42 AM »
If you are on an SSRI that can deplete b12.  I take a supplement every day with my Zoloft.  Low b12 can actually sometimes cause anxiety so a supp can't hurt.  (I like the adult gummy vitamins by nature made...tasty!)
Bookmark and Share

Offline mikran

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 07:42:13 AM »
Virtually all vegetarians suffer from B12 deficiency. How many eggs have you been eating? I think you'd need to eat at least 3-4 eggs / day to get your RDI of B12. Try B12 supplements.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 12:15:03 PM »
Do you know what your B12 levels are?? Mine were slightly low when I had my psychical this month. Normal was 650-1100 and mine was 607. My doctor said it was "normal/low) and to just take a B12 supplement. I am also 26 but not vegetarian. I was also confused and worried but I was not anemic at all and all other blood work was perfect. I don't have any symptoms of low B12 either.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: