Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Xanax worries and questions about natural herbs or supplement replacements  (Read 191 times)

Offline NovocaineKisses

• Trix
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Plot Twist!
    • Poke This Member
So I've been on Xanax since February. It started off as one .5 mg a day and now we're up to 3 .5 mgs a day. I started noticing changes when I would skip one if I was feeling good like my Dr said I could, but now if I miss one or go too long between them I get terrible headaches that border on full blown migraines. I will feel dizzy and my head will throb. I was worried about this happening when they first put me on it, but I was at a point where I needed to be have something that helped me function through out the day. I have plans on making an appointment with my Dr first thing in the morning to discuss my recent side effects with this and talk to her about alternatives. They had talked about Klonopin, but I don't feel like that is right for me. I hate the weird, funky, nasty feelings I get when I miss a Xanax. I don't want something stronger and I don't want something addictive like that. I know there aren't many alternatives and I realize that sometimes medication is appropriate, I do not think that is entirely correct for me. My Dr has a hard time believing that I feel the effects of meds like this almost immediately and I almost always have horrible responses to them. Xanax is the only thing I've ever taken for my anxiety that didn't give me worse side effects than my actual panic attacks or throw me into a panic attack.

Does anyone have an alternative suggestions? Is anyone taking natural herbs and supplements that help? I'm afraid of being addicted to medication and I already feel my body responding negatively when the Xanax has run it's course. I also hate that as soon as I do take my Xanax 20 mins will go by and my headaches and the dizziness are gone. This isn't how I want to live my life, addicted to medication or having terrible anxiety. It's not something I want my children to see me suffer with. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated and I do have a few things I'm going to talk to my Dr about tomorrow already, but I like to be prepared. Has anyone on here ever tried GABA or SAM-e? Thank you in advance for your help!!!
Bookmark and Share
“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline insights

• Rec's: 100
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Has anyone on here ever tried GABA or SAM-e? Thank you in advance for your help!!!

Exercise and omega-3 fatty acids/fish oil are the only non pharmaceuticals with good evidence for effectiveness in mild to moderate anxiety and depression. Neither is likely to prevent panic attacks.

The only treatments which are as effective as the pharmaceutics are the cognitive and/or behavioural and/or mindfulness therapies and these would be you best, indeed probably only non med option.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Ringil

• Lost Cat
  • Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Ringil & The 3 Mouseketeers
    • Poke This Member
Alprazolam (Xanax) is a great drug for anxiety issues. It sound like you are taking IR and maybe you should be on ER.

I buy a product called Rescue Pearls at Amazon. I'm not sure if they work or if I just want them to work so much that they help me. They're more to supplement my Xanax than to replace it though.

Wish I had more useful to say. But give the ER a try. Many insurances won't pay for the ER. But you can negotiate with smaller pharmacies and get them to be affordable. If they help, it will be worth it.
Bookmark and Share
Anything I post is an opinion© and not necessarily a fact™. I've often benefitted from anecdotal guidance. Your mileage may vary.

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I have used valerian in the past as a sleep aid and found it very useful.  In small doses I know of a few people who take it during the day and seem to feel it works well.  But it can make you drowsy (duh) so make sure you don't have to drive etc if or when you try it.  Also note that natural supps effects vary wildly from person to person so use the recommended dose as a starting point and tinker from there.  I also use valerian on nervous horses to help get them used to new experiences and have found that it helps with about 75% of them.  Good luck and hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: