Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Had the Most Embarrasing Panic Attack, Ended up in ER  (Read 860 times)

Offline Breathless

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Had the Most Embarrasing Panic Attack, Ended up in ER
« on: May 01, 2014, 10:18:06 PM »
I haven't posted in here in a long time but I had a truly embarrassing panic attack that wound me up in the ER.

I am a 33 year old male in sales. I took a client to lunch I had only met one other time. We sit down in a busy restaurant and I was tense. I had a hard time catching my breath and everything was tightening up. I excused myself from the table and BAM the panic starts. I sit in the bathroom for 5 minutes trying to regain my composure. I come back out and sit back down with the client. I'm having a full blown panic attack and feel trapped. I try to make it through another 5 minutes of lunch and then I start getting PVCs and marked shortness of breath. I'M DYING!

I tell the client I do not feel well and could we leave. At this point my client sees this is an emergency. If I had been at home I would have easily gotten through this attack. My PVCs and shortness of breath are reaching EXTREME levels. I tell my client to drive me to the ER!! I've had thousands of panic attacks but this one was so bad I was convinced I was living my last moments.

He dropped me off at the ER and he had to catch a ride back to work (I picked him up for lunch).

Of course my vitals where elevated but nothing life threatening. They hit me with a syringe full of Ativan and I quickly stabilized. The chest x ray, blood work and ekg were normal except the PVCs (I've had them for years...no biggie)

This was soooo embarrassing. I sent my client an email a few hours later thanking him. I told him my blood sugar dropped and had a hypoglycemic attack.

Has anyone had a truly embarrassing panic attack?
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Had the Most Embarrasing Panic Attack, Ended up in ER
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 12:06:01 PM »
I remember my first panic attack.  I was looking at buying a new plasma tv at Circuit City.  You know the phrase "Sticker Shock", well I was talking to the salesman when I stared getting tunnel vision, shortness of breath, tingling in the extremities...basically all the panic attack systems.  Anyway I had the salesman off and stumble to the door.  It wasn't too embarrassing but the salesman must of thought I was a nut.

About your lunch meeting ... do you carry any Ativan on you for emergencies?  They make little keychain pill holders that are small and unnoticeable.  Also I use a mobile app call Breathe2Relax to help me control my breathing during an episode.   You wouldn't do it with you client there but in the bathroom it may have helped.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 03:46:10 PM »
I remember my first panic attack.  I was looking at buying a new plasma tv at Circuit City.  You know the phrase "Sticker Shock", well I was talking to the salesman when I stared getting tunnel vision, shortness of breath, tingling in the extremities...basically all the panic attack systems.  Anyway I had the salesman off and stumble to the door.  It wasn't too embarrassing but the salesman must of thought I was a nut.

About your lunch meeting ... do you carry any Ativan on you for emergencies?  They make little keychain pill holders that are small and unnoticeable.  Also I use a mobile app call Breathe2Relax to help me control my breathing during an episode.   You wouldn't do it with you client there but in the bathroom it may have helped.

I'm actually out of any type of benzo. I do have metoprolol that I will keep on hand. My panic attacks are very physical so beta blockers take off the physical edge. I can handle the mental part in most cases.
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline Chrestomanci

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 01:24:31 AM »
Yes! I was having a terrible morning worrying  to the point where I began to have a panic attack while driving - full blown, palpitations so loud I couldn't hear anything else, extreme tunnel vision, etc. I basically turned to the side of the road, put the car in park and shot straight out of the car towards a ditch worker, crying to him that he needed to call an ambulance because I was that convinced I was dying right then and there. Before he could go and get his cell phone out of his car I whipped my own out and dialed them myself, and he looked very confused. I still feel very sorry about that to this day.

Sure enough, the state trooper came and stayed with me as the ambulance came, as I started to come to my senses. It all led to a very embarrassing time with them as I cried about not wanting to go to the hospital since I realized it was a panic attack and then had to find someone that was available at that time to come and take me because the police refused to let me go home by myself.

Probably one of the most cringe worthy experiences of my life to this date, haha.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Breathless

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 07:19:47 PM »
Yes! I was having a terrible morning worrying  to the point where I began to have a panic attack while driving - full blown, palpitations so loud I couldn't hear anything else, extreme tunnel vision, etc. I basically turned to the side of the road, put the car in park and shot straight out of the car towards a ditch worker, crying to him that he needed to call an ambulance because I was that convinced I was dying right then and there. Before he could go and get his cell phone out of his car I whipped my own out and dialed them myself, and he looked very confused. I still feel very sorry about that to this day.

Sure enough, the state trooper came and stayed with me as the ambulance came, as I started to come to my senses. It all led to a very embarrassing time with them as I cried about not wanting to go to the hospital since I realized it was a panic attack and then had to find someone that was available at that time to come and take me because the police refused to let me go home by myself.

Probably one of the most cringe worthy experiences of my life to this date, haha.

Yep it's embarrassing but I guess it educates strangers on what a panic attack looks like lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline Shan1983

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 06:50:35 AM »
It probably felt worse because you felt trapped in the situation,like you said if you were home you could have gotten through it but since you were with someone who didn't know what was going on you felt trapped and the panic took over 100 times more than usual
Bookmark and Share
Constant anxiety and panic,,it's horrible but makes you a very strong person depending how you look at it

Offline witsend

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 12:45:13 PM »
My first full blown one was embarrassing - while flying alone! Never done that again.

I was having a horrible 'under the surface' attack last week (you know, when you're not quite over the edge into full blown freak-out but silently erupting over and over again internally with out and out terror) while in my first face to face meeting with a famous actor.

Was so sure I was going to run from the room or pass out!!

I *HOPE* he didn't notice, though I'm sure I must have gone red and been talking total rubbish.

I agree with some OPs that it's AWFUL in a meal setting. If you're on the verge of an attack and expected to somehow get wine and food into your face without choking?? UUrrrghhhh recipe for disaster.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Marie231

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 09:09:35 PM »
Oh, I've had many, many embarrassing panic attacks.  B-;  In fact, most of mine occur in public places, or around people who have no clue what a panic attack is. I hate that trapped feeling -- like I just have to leave. I don't know how people just "float" through these attacks.
I've been getting them for almost 40 years, have had decades of therapy, yet am still very limited as to where I can travel alone.
On the bright side, I can go anywhere with my safe person (husband). I can't tolerate the SSRI's -- they make me really hyper. I take 1.25 - 1.5 mg. of Clonazepam daily.
Bookmark and Share
Tact is seeing others as they wish to be seen.

Offline LeftBehind

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2014, 03:43:46 PM »
I empathize with your embarrassment.
When I have a panic attack I lose control of my body - I feel as though I have to race for a bathroom. The fear of that happening is enough to send me into a panic attack. I tend to keep myself out of situations where I would have to see people who do not understand the situation but when those times are unavoidable, I find myself embarrassed and ashamed that I am not more "normal".
Bookmark and Share
ellipsis

Offline Betsy21

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 10:21:10 PM »
LeftBehind: I get the exact same thing as you! When I'm having a panic attack, I feel like I'm going to pee!! Even though I'm not it actually does feel like I am and then I panic about it hahaha. I had an embarrassing panic attack last weekend, I only walked 5 minutes up the road with my dad to get a chinese and I just had this sensation of needing to pee because I was feeling extra panicky that day (drank a bottle of wine the night before), so the only place to go was this tiny little Mexican restaurant. I had to go in there to the toilet and walk right past all the waiters - it was quite funny because it was so obvious I wasn't a customer or anything but I was so scared I didn't even care! And then of course I couldn't even pee because I don't actually need to, its just the stupid panic!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: