Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Constant tachycardia.  (Read 266 times)

Offline andyinfear

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
Constant tachycardia.
« on: May 01, 2014, 08:07:29 PM »
First off.. I'm a 26 year old male. I do suffer from anxiety (obviously) lol. I'm underweight.. genetics. I'm a smoker. I never drink or do drugs. Caffeine is also never in my system. I do have a lot of fluids in my system. I know it's not dehydration.

This has been going on for weeks that I know of. And since I noticed it.. I've been dwelling on it 24/7.

I wake up with tachycardia 100 - 130 bpm. Sometimes higher. I guess it depends on how much I'm freaking out.. and this is before I leave my bed or move.

During the day it seems to be anywhere in between 100 - 120 bpm with no physical activity at all. I've become bedridden. Mainly because upon standing my heart rate tends to jump pretty high 120 - 150 bpm. Sometimes higher.. I guess it depends on my anxiety level or something else.

And at night, my heart rate tends to calm down and return to normal. Or what it should be 70 - 100 bpm.

I guess I was wondering if anyone else has experienced constant tachycardia? If so.. what helped? I would love to know as this has become something that I can't seem to get under control or out of my head. And, I'm afraid to go to the doctor. Well, I guess I'm afraid of doing just about anything with this going on.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fhestia

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Constant tachycardia.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 09:07:12 PM »
I voted yes but I have been diagnosed with two different conditions since my cardiologist and my GP don't agree...either inappropriate sinus tachycardia (cardio's opinion) or postural orthostatic tachycardia (GP's opinion).  Both are completely benign conditions, meaning my heart is structurally very healthy and my heart rhythm is not considered dangerous and it does not affect my life expectancy.  My heart rate varies like yours:  In bed, at rest, it is around 60-70 bpm; sitting quietly it is around 75-85 bpm; when I am up and moving around, it very quickly goes up over 100, usually around 120-140 bpm depending on my level of activity.

I know that you probably don't want to hear it, but you should have your symptoms checked out by your doctor.  I could tell you what I do to control the POTS/IST, but they are both what are called "diagnoses of exclusion" meaning the symptoms can be caused by many other conditions that need to be ruled out before an official diagnosis can be made. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline andyinfear

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 10:27:48 PM »
No one else goes through this? I really wish I had a bit more info. from people on here!

If you don't know.. tachycardia means a heart rate that's over 100 bpm.
What's considered a normal heart rate is between 60 - 100 bpm.
Bookmark and Share

Offline limitless10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 11:32:35 PM »
My HR resting is 60 but when I do the littlest physical thing it jumps to the 120s no doctor has been worried.
Bookmark and Share

Offline andyinfear

Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 01:49:36 AM »
I'm glad! That's good. I wish I could just get over this myself. I just have a feeling that since I'm anxious about it all the time.. it's causing my rapid heart rate. Having a resting heart rate over 100 is really scary to me. And I just want it to chill out. I don't know how to do that without help. I wish I wasn't so scared to get the help I so clearly need.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 06:59:48 AM »
I know it may seem counterintuitive but exercise can actually lower your heart rate over time.  I am a horse trainer and I basically exercise for a living lol...my resting heart rate is about 40 bpm and serious runners I know have rates as low as 30 bpm.  Now these rates go up when we are working (or having a panic attack!) but that is normal and my doc says I am in perfect health.  Bottom line is that staying in bed isn't doing you any favors.  I would recommend starting on a exercise regiimen beginning with something gentle like yoga or tai chi.  Both are good for strength and relaxation and over time will get you in better shape and bring your hr down.  Good luck and hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline fhestia

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 03:24:43 PM »
Bottom line is that staying in bed isn't doing you any favors.  I would recommend starting on a exercise regiimen beginning with something gentle like yoga or tai chi.  Both are good for strength and relaxation and over time will get you in better shape and bring your hr down.  Good luck and hang in there!

This! ^  Gentle exercise is part of my regimen for treating IST/POTS.  If I stay in bed, I decondition very quickly and it increases my symptoms dramatically. I do a combo of light weight training, stationary bike and yoga and the only precaution I take is a pulse monitor so I don't get my heart rate up too high.   
Bookmark and Share

Tags: