Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Ct scan next Thursday and nervous. :(  (Read 277 times)

Offline Kmj023

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Ct scan next Thursday and nervous. :(
« on: May 01, 2014, 10:58:05 AM »
I have a ct scan set up for next Thursday cause my ENT wants to see my sinuses and I asked for a full head ct scan cause I told her assistant on the phone I was worried about a brain tumor. I really hope that she told the Ent that so I can just see all my brain. According to dr google, if I have a tumor it is more than likely to be in the cerebellum which what has to do with balance. I still feel wobbly and my forehead still feels full when I stand up. So of course I'm worried.

Every time I have to go to a dr lately, I have very high anxiety and walking is worse cause I feel like I'm gonna fall or pass out. My head gets heavy and lifting it up I feel dizzy and it's making my sinuses worse and I am gonna have to change into gown and I'm afraid I'm gonna pass out or something bad gonna happen. And I have to lay still in the ct scan thing. I'm just seeing all kinds of bad images. Then after that I take the cd to ent office so she can read results and I know I'm gonna be scared and wanna throw up waiting.  Ughhh.

If this is really a sinus problem then it's been a terrible one cause of all this anxiety.

Any support would be great!
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

"Anxiety is not a doctor. Neither is the internet."

Actual diagnosis : chronic sinusitis.
Google diagnosis : brain cancer.

Symptoms : dizzy head feeling.

Offline fhestia

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Ct scan next Thursday and nervous. :(
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 11:49:26 AM »
I had a brain CT scan a few weeks ago and outside of a traditional x-ray, it was the easiest medical test I've ever had and I've had a bunch.  I'm not sure what the policies are at your imaging center, but I did not need IV contrast and I didn't have to change out of my street clothes.  I walked in, stretched out on the little table and about five minutes later I was walking back out.   

I have positional vertigo so I was worried about the CT scanner rotating and making me dizzier and the movement of the table aggravating my dizziness, but it was okay.  I kept my eyes closed so I couldn't see the gantry rotating (there is one small part that whizzes around; the rest of the tube stays motionless.)  One thing that surprised me was the table movement; I was expecting a very gentle movement as it slid out of the tube during the scan, but it jerked pretty hard.  It wasn't a scary thing, just surprising.  I'll know what to expect next time.

Good luck!  The hardest part of the test is waiting but you'll know right away even before the doctor gets your report.  My tech was sitting with his head propped up in one hand looking completely bored as he scanned through my normal brain CT. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 04:29:27 PM »
A friend told me she had to wear a gown but was allowed to keep her jeans on. I'm gonna tell them that I want same thing since changing clothes is hard for me to do cause sometimes I get dizzy from the pressure in my forehead and of course anxiety making it worse. It's just my head anyway and I get the results the same day. The radiologist will give me a cd. Do you think he will be able to tell me then if I have a tumor if I ask?
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 04:52:56 PM »
Radiologists generally aren't allowed to discuss what they see with patients.  (Although I did once have the tech reading an EEG say to me, "I'm not supposed to say this, but - it looks fine.")  You can ask, but consider how much you'll panic if he says "I can't discuss that with you."  If you think there's a chance you'll assume something bad is there, don't ask. 

I've had CT scans, though never on my head (for back problems and giant ovarian cysts).  Really no big deal at all.  The contrast isn't pleasant - not sure if you're getting that or not - but it's not awful, and the scan itself is no big deal.  All you have to do is lie there, and unlike an MRI it's quiet and in an open space. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 05:30:05 PM »
Well I will not ask then. I'm just ready to be done with it. It's been nerve wracking and Im tired of worrying myself sick over a brain tumor. Ugh.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 04:53:10 AM »
I also recommend not looking at the techs or anyone during the test - I don't know if anyone else does this, but I'm guilty of trying to "read" their expressions and try to figure out if they're seeing anything bad.  Every time I've done that, I predict doom.  It turns out neutral expressions can look downright terrifying when you're nervous!   :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Offline fhestia

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 02:29:34 PM »
I also recommend not looking at the techs or anyone during the test - I don't know if anyone else does this, but I'm guilty of trying to "read" their expressions and try to figure out if they're seeing anything bad.  Every time I've done that, I predict doom.  It turns out neutral expressions can look downright terrifying when you're nervous!   :laugh3:

That is so true!  After my scan, I thought the tech was looking at me very sorrowfully as he walked me back out to the waiting area, but maybe he was just hungry and ready for lunch.  I mean, think how many people he walks in and out of that imaging room in a day....like he gives a poop about my head CT.  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 03:18:04 PM »
Ct scan was clear. No tumor. Said it seemed that I did have a sinus infection but was clearing up and it's sinuses and allergy related. Told me to take Zyrtec every day and saline wash.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 08:46:51 PM »
Yay!  That's great news!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 10:42:58 AM »
Yeah was feeling good until I was deleting stuff off my phone and saw a reply on another forum with a girl freakung me out all over again. She said she had same symptoms as I and we had same tumor and for me to get a scan. This tumor she had was a rare one and benign. I had read other posts where she was saying she had real bad headaches 6 times a day and drs didn't think it was anything then she began to puke her guts up and was falling down and that's when she was diagnosed with this tumor. I have not had any headaches nor vomiting.

The ct scan was of my sinuses and what looked to be top of my head. The tumor I was worried about having was the one in the back part of my brain like hers since it's related to balance and and vision. I don't think that it actually showed my cerebellum.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: