Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: what worked for you  (Read 171 times)

Offline LondonJulz

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
what worked for you
« on: May 01, 2014, 10:09:16 AM »
I'm an anxietyzone member who has gone through many bouts of anxiety, depression, hypochondria, etc. I'm in (what I would call) "remission" of my mental illness for over a year. I've been posting lately needing help with/for my husband. He has recently been diagnosed with panic disorder & severe depression. As I'm sure many of you have experienced, we feel as if his PCP and other medical professionals don't feel the sense of urgency like we do with his situation. He has a psychiatry appointment on the 8th (which to him feels light years away). He hasn't gotten any relief from his anxiety attacks / panic attacks with the meds his PCP has prescribed (klonopin 1mg) and the PCP has all but outright refused to prescribe anything else.

Husband was put on Fetzima for depression in January. The panic attacks and anxiety started April 7. Looking back now I see that between the start time of Fetzima and the first panic attack in April, he was quicker to anger.
I have all but begged the PCP to switch his Fetzima to something more well known (a Fetzima only came out in Nov or Dec of last year). PCP has decided to switch him to Prozac. I know everyone responds differently to different meds. But, I had a sister who was on Prozac for 10+ years and it worked great for her depression but did nothing for her anxiety. I also have a brother who was put on Prozac but it also did nothing for his anxiety.

Knowing that everyone responds differently - what has been the best medicine for your panic disorders?  He DOES have depression....and I fully believe that the "new" depression (absolutely hopelessness) is from having anxiety/panic and not being able to have relief from it.
Also if you've had Prozac for it, what's your experience been?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: what worked for you
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 11:18:43 AM »
I didn't care for any of the medicines. I have depression and panic attacks as well, so I certainly know where youre coming from. I found a... different way to deal with it. Im reluctant to share this any time I do because I'm surprised it worked. It doesn't seem like it should.

I repeatedly terrified myself. Over and over again, on purpose. I use things like scary stories or videos. something that could get me ued to the feelings of dread, that i wasi n complete control over and could stop at any time I needed. Gave me something to focus my anxiety on, so it didnt keep looking for random things to consider threats. For so long I just tried to hide away from anything that might scare me, but that just made it worse. I had to confront it, and so that's what I did.

My panic attacks havent gone away utterly. But they are shorter, less frequent, and I am able to remind myself I'm not going to die and actually believe it. I recognize the feelings as fear, rather than an actual problem. If that makes any sense.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 11:55:18 AM »
That's interesting Luna! Sounds like you put yourself through a crash course in exposure therapy! I'm glad it's helped
Bookmark and Share

Offline dlwood62

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 10:08:54 AM »
For what it is worth everyone I have ever talked has said that depression and anxiety go hand in hand - both need to be treated to get any relief. I personally take Paxil daily and xanax as needed for the anxiety. I would think after your husband gets some more professional help that things will look better to him.
In the mean time maybe doing some relaxation exersizes would help. As much as I don't like taking the time to do them they really are helpful!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: