Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Is this anxiety??  (Read 454 times)

Offline mungojerry

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Is this anxiety??
« on: May 01, 2014, 08:29:28 AM »
Hi there, I'm new to the board and new to this whole anxiety thing. I'll try to keep things short! !
I'm currently 22 years old and I was diagnosed with depression when I was 17. I was put on Aropax 50mg but when I was 19 or so my dose was reduced to 20mg of Cilift. I really believed that I was finished with the whole depression bussiness and started seeing a psychologist to help me stop using the medication. I stopped seeing her because I tbought it was pointless and it was expensive as well.

Now, I thought I was a strong person but apparently things just got too much for me lately. Last year my boyfriend lost his job, relocated far from me (like 6hours drive) and his grandfather died...so I had to support him through a horrible year, and I had to deal with my own feelings as well. At the beginning of this year he got a wonderful job, he still lives far away but we are dealing with it and we are most probably going to get engaged this year.

At the beginning of this year I started my new job as a teacher (I finished my studies last year) and everything was quite stressful but I handled it quite well.

Now here comes the interesting part where the sh#t hit the fan..I think: I have a colleague and he is also new to the teaching business. He taught the Grade 10-12 arts while I taught tbe grade 8 arts and music, but be couldn't seem to cope, so our principal decided to switch us. So I was thrown into new classes in week 5 of the 1st term and no work had been done with the learners...and also new learners who kind of resent you because they liked gheir prevous teacher. Anyway...I'm trying not to type an essay so I'll just say I was under immense stress and I didn't eat healthily at all for a month...from not eating at all to eating a lot of sugary foods.

This resulted in problems with my blood sugar, which is fine now, and a horrible case of an urinary tract infection. I've had those a lot this over the course of my lice but this one simply floored me...I was tired, dizzy and suffered a lot of side-effects from the anti-biotics. I was really afraid that I was going to die. Of course I went for all kinds of tests and everything came out fine.

Now I'm left with this:
I can't relax. I have brain-fog...feels as if I'm living in a dream. I have chest pains (I've been to gbe physician and the heart and lungs are tip top) and my left arm feels...weird. kind or tired...if I can describe it like that. I also get pain in my left shoulder next to my spine. I sleep a lot. I had a week or two with my uti that I struggled to sleep and I was almost addicted to sleeping pills...my mother also had to sleep with me during that week or so becauze I was afraid of sleeping alone. I'm 22 for goodness sake.

Is this anxiety?

Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is this anxiety??
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 06:52:23 PM »
What does the doctor think about your condition?  Anxiety and depression can come and go, wax and wane, often for long periods of time but has a tendency to return especially when under a lot of stress which it sounds like you've been going through.   Re-connect with a psychologist and consult with the doctor about it as its happened to you before.  Very common to have setbacks so don't be hard on yourself, especially since you've been under a lot of pressure.  Being new to teaching is stressful.  It can be a very demanding profession as you work with so many kids.  Take care
Bookmark and Share

Offline mungojerry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 03:44:19 AM »
Thank you so much for your reply!  I'm going to see my psychologist on Monday so we'll see how that goes. My GP has remarked that I'm very anxious and wired and that anxiety causes all of these physical symptoms. I just have one more concern - these chest pains: yhey reoccur and they are more annoying than painful. It happens on my left side and also on my left shoulder between my blade and my spine. My left arm also feels weird...it is numbish or so, it doesn't feel normal. Everything has been checked out and everything is fine. Is this a common symptom of anxiety?
Bookmark and Share

Offline algeus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 04:43:06 AM »
1. The "living in a dream" feeling is called "derealization" - just search the web/this forum for it,and you will find a lot of info.
2. Regarding the pains - what do you mean by "the heart and lungs are tip top"?What was done to confirm this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline mungojerry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 05:21:23 AM »
I had an EKG, stress test, chest x-ray and chest sonar done by a physician.  He said he really tried to find something wrong but he couldn't and that I was fit and healthy. That's what I mean by tip-top shape. Thanks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline will402

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:49:10 AM »
Hello I can relate to you right now.

I have the strange dream like thing also, alot of staring and losing consentration. I wouldnt get too bogged down with what it actually is, its just your brain in overload. (I have been bogged down this week with trying to find out what it was but the answers just made it more scary)

You like me are early 20's. Your thinking ***** I am early 20's! Why am I not doing loads of crazy stuff! Why can I not be better ect......

All this talk is not helpful, you like me have had problems in the past and like me you are undergoing stress and change. I think its fairly normal especially for people in our age range.

In time you will accept help, and accept you need a bit of help. Once you have done that you can begin to move forward. I think I began doing that last night. Its a nice feeling. Take something from the anxiety/depression. Change something in your life for the best.

Me I am not taking drugs ever again and I quit smoking. Its time to appreciate life for what it is. We will get there, it makes us stronger!

Sorry if this makes no sense, I am actually half talking to myself.

Will :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline mungojerry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 10:00:41 AM »
It makes sense Will. I do know all of these changes hit me when I least expected it and it lead to this anxiety. Funny thibg is I have never experimented with drugs nor do I smoke. I'm not a heavy drinker so it makes everything even more difficult to understand. I do however hate worrying about anxiety thing and I just want to get on with enjoying my life. I thought I was strong enough to handle stress but apparently I'm not. Thanks for the reply!
Bookmark and Share

Offline will402

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 07:45:33 PM »
Dont be hard on yourself, it wasnt the drugs that made me like this. I was only a light user but there comes a time when you have to realise that you have a problem that needs addressing.

We are just overly sensitive deep thinkers, thats what an anxiety sufferer is.

Wish you all the best
Bookmark and Share

Offline algeus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 08:59:03 AM »
Hi mungojerry,

I'm not sure what "chest sonar" is, but in case of left hand issues,and pain in the back I would try and ask for heart echo.Just to be on the safe side.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worrygal

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 03:00:17 PM »
I had an EKG, stress test, chest x-ray and chest sonar done by a physician.  He said he really tried to find something wrong but he couldn't and that I was fit and healthy. That's what I mean by tip-top shape. Thanks.

I too was suffering from what you have...and the chest pain...not really a pain but a dull ache...comes and goes. my breast bone and left side/arm and shoulder. it was most weird. I have a EKG/ with stress test/ultrasound. all was perfect. I then was diagnoses with costochondritis.

I am not a doctor and I am not trying to diagnose you  but maybe you should look into it! :)
cheers :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline mungojerry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 10:38:51 AM »
Hi worrygal! Thanks so much for the reply.  Could you maybe tell me how the doctor diagnosed you with that and what the treatment is for it? I know it is not my heart but the pain is annoying!
Bookmark and Share

Offline will402

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 12:45:41 PM »
Hey Mungojerry,

Just thought I would check back because no-one ever does when they are on the mend. Just wanted to tell you that when I replied to you last I was feeling at the bottom of my barrel, thats why I related to your post because it was similar.

Already I feel much better and on the way to a recovery. I didnt want to gloat, I just wanted to show you how quickly it turns around.

My secret and the secret that everyone says is acceptance, accept you are a anxiety sufferer, accept that maybe for the next few weeks you will feel like *****, and accept that you will one day very soon feel better again BUT importantly accept that one day your anxiety may well come back.

If you can begin to do this you will feel after some days getting lighter, which gives your more confidence and more strength. For when you feel better and then maybe in the future you feel bad again, remember you are someone with anxiety and this is something you cannot change but you can manage.

Sorry if I was rambling there. Good luck with your healing.  ;*)

Will
Bookmark and Share