Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: My intro  (Read 173 times)

Offline FredTheFish

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
My intro
« on: May 01, 2014, 03:42:22 AM »
Hey guys, I am new here

I've browsed these types of forms, and think that it would be good to communicate with others with similar issues, and also lend some advice that I have learned through my experiences if possible.

I'm 29 and live in San Francisco area in CA and work in the medical field

I have had GAD symptoms since my teenage years or slightly before. Also have dealt with anger issues and some slight ADHD / OCD type issues over the years.

I experience lots of physical symptoms of anxiety. Light headed/dizzy, derealization, brain fog, fatigue, panicky feelings, sweaty hands, palpitations, tense muscles, tight jaw, abrupt respiratory patterns, etc.

I started out on the typical quest of finding the problem. I figured there MUST be a physical reason for all this. I had blood tests, took thyroid medicine for a short time, had a sleep study and tried to blame it on very mild sleep apnea, etc etc etc. Finally I concluded this is me, and through the DNA that I was given as well as the life experiences I had as a child when my brain was rapidly forming, I have become the person I am today. I am proud of myself and my strength and will, but of course wish some things about me were different. But I look at these issues as challenges to overcome.

Currently taking lexapro which has given me about 10% improvement.
I'm weening myself off Klonopin

I've tried other medicines as well, but this is the first time I have ever taken an SSRI.

Thanks for reading.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: My intro
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 07:28:36 AM »
Hi,

Welcome to the forum . . . sorry to hear about your symptoms but they are familiar to most of us . . . you have a bit of a double edge sword because you work in the medical field . . . my friends tell me that they have a difficult time recognizing that anxiety, although it has physical symptoms, may be triggered by psychological reasons . . .they too also want to find a physical reason . . .

You work in the medical field which is a stressful field to be in and coupled with anger issues and slight adhd ocd issues, well, all of these can intensify your experiences with anxiety . . . indeed, our childhood does impact on who we are as adults, but that does not mean we have to settle for anxiety . . . you have strength and you know you can accomplish your goals . . . I would ask, though, if you are seeing a counselor to help guide you with managing anxiety . . . . you have meds which means, hopefully, you've had them prescribed for you so you are seeing a doc . . . but sometimes a counselor who aligns well with who you are and can tailor strategies will make a huge difference . . .

I cannot take tell you much about meds . . . I do know that they affect different people in different ways . . .  for me, for example, I have taken for a brief period of time Ativan . . .  the regular dose of Ativan makes me stupid whereas a 1/2 or 1/4 tablet was good compared to my friend who took a full tab of Ativan and it had no effect . . . the key is to track how you are feeling with meds and to keep in contact with the prescribing doc re: side effects or if the med is not producing the appropriate effect . . .

The other thing, because you are in the med field, is that you may tend to see every small deviation from the norm as pointing to a physical issue . . . for example, tense muscles are often a signal that I am entering the realm of anxiety because everything just becomes a knot . . . I used to think that I had done something physical to cause this and got frustrated when I couldn't figure out what it was . . .

In any case, I welcome you to the forum, hope you will return here often because there are people here with loads of information more than willing to share with you and also, we just like to know how everyone is doing because we can at least provide support if not solutions . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Tags: