Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How do I make acid reflux go away? (stupid question I know..)  (Read 201 times)

Offline qxeenb

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I have had acid reflux for almost 2 months.. I'm only 13 & I know anxiety triggered it, But I just wan't it to go away.. I had to take a test last week for a week, each day it was a new subject & I was so nervous on those days, my acid reflux started to get worse during that week.. I can't take it anymore, I hate living like this.. But how can I make it go away?
Bookmark and Share

Offline qxeenb

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How do I make acid reflux go away? (stupid question I know..)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 10:18:15 PM »
BTW ) : I can feel it wringing around, it goes from my stomach to my chest and its so uncomfortable
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 10:56:03 PM »
Try to keep your head slightly elevated when you sleep, don't eat 3 hours before you go to bed,
stay away from chocolate, don't smoke, drink plenty of water, etc.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 01:43:15 AM »
There are over the counter medications that can get it under control; just read the labels to be sure they're recommended for people your age.  I would also look up the maximum period of time it's recommended to be on them, because staying on them indefinitely can cause side effects.  Not dangerous ones as far as I know, just annoying - I was on Zantac, I think it was, for a number of weeks and ended up having muscle cramps and weakness.  They stopped a day or so after I stopped taking it. 

Good luck with your exams. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline SheWhoShallRemainNameless

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 03:52:28 AM »
Hey, I have acid reflux and have since I was your age.
    Okay, you'll have to avoid spicy and acidic foods as much as possible. Orange juice, tomatoes, chili, things with a lot of onions, all of it. If you must eat it, eat as far from when you'll be sleeping as possible. And drink tons of water. Mine also seems to get worse when I haven't eaten enough, so make sure to eat breakfast.
     Sleep on your left side, for some reason that seems to keep the acid where it belongs. I dunno why, but it works. Also sleep on a slight incline, either with pillows or (preferably) put the top two legs of your bed up on some blocks of wood so the whole thing tilts. It takes a little getting used to to sleep like that, but it works as well.
     You already know this, but try to stay calm. Do stress-relieving activities. Take a nice bath, read a good book, play video games (I love Animal Crossing for this). Whatever works for you. Stress will always make acid reflux worse.
    Calcium will help. Tums are basically calcium tablets, they use them as supplements sometimes. You really shouldn't live on those- for a long time I went through a bottle a month. Sometimes a doctor can prescribe something to help, but it didn't work for me. It might for you. In a pinch, eat a bit of ice cream, or a piece of cheese, or drink some milk (if you're not lactose intolerant). It's a temporary solution, but it'll help when you're desperate. I also always keep water near me, and drink a few gulps when it starts getting bad.
     If OTC stuff doesn't work, seriously considering asking your doctor if they can prescribe something. A lot of meds don't work for me, so they probably will for you. It'll keep you healthy and really improve your life. And focus on stress-relief, especially during exams! Take some time for self-care, whatever that entails for you. It's really, really important for anxious people like us.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Trikki

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 08:47:23 AM »
Hi qxeenb, I developed reflux when my anxiety got really bad.  I sometimes had severe attacks of burning hot pain just below my sternum and other times I had chest and back pain.  I'm now on meds for the reflux and also a low dose anxiety med.  No over the counter drug ever helped but I read a lot of people found eating apples helped, a lot !  So when I next had a severe attack I drank a cold glass of apple juice straight down and within 20mins the pain was GONE.  I've since learnt that apples neutralise the acid in your stomach and I'm sure the coldness of the apple juice helped too.  Get a juice that is as close to real apple juice and low in added sugar and eat an apple or two a day.  It's worth a try, see how you go for a few weeks (stay away from soda).  If it's still there, talk to your family and go to your doctor and don't be afraid to take meds that they prescribe.  Best of luck, you are not alone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worrier1978

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 11:29:33 AM »
Another thing you could try is drinking ginger tea. I had an issue with heartburn/acid reflux for a few weeks not long ago (due to my anxiety, more than likely) & I heard ginger tea might help so I tried it & it definitely helped me! Mine wasn't that bad, just persistent, and the first time I tried the ginger tea it helped almost immediately. It stopped a few days later & hasn't returned since. Every now & then if I feel like I might be getting heartburn or acid reflux, I drink the tea & I'm fine. I really like it, so I've been trying to drink a cup every evening now to relax & help my digestion. :) Might be worth a try! Good luck; I hope you feel better soon!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 04:44:45 AM »
I need to second the prescription of Animal Crossing for relaxation!  That game is so ridiculously calming and happy-making!  (Except when my favorite animal neighbor moved away without warning - I yelled at the game for a bit about that.  But usually ;) )  If you have a DS I recommend picking it up.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: