Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety! Afraid to take meds  (Read 102 times)

Offline Bubbleburst

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety! Afraid to take meds
« on: April 30, 2014, 08:20:46 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and unfortunately suffer from severe anxiety.
I tried tried a lot if meds over the years but am afraid of taking them and giving them a real go!
I hate the feeling of something being in my body that I have no control over once I take it I freak out waiting for a bad reaction to happen:( I'm worn out at this stage - anyone like this or advise to give me . Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety! Afraid to take meds
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 12:46:31 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Good to have you as a member. Here you are with like minded people. People who understand. As we all suffer from something or other. So feel free to ask any questions. Our members are always willing to help others out. Good chatroom too. 3 posts to enter the room.

Find the correct section of the forum that suits your condition and create a new topic on it. This is just a welcome section. Never really get the same amount of help in this section as you would on the other sections of the forums. So whatever one suits the questions you are asking. Get much better answers.
All users of the chatroom must be 18 years old or over. The room is off limits to anybody under the age of 18.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Myocdragon

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety! Afraid to take meds
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 01:35:39 PM »
I like meds. And typically with SSRIs you won't feel ANY difference for some time. The only SEs I've had with Fluoxetine have been:
1. The first two weeks I had a dry mouth.
2. The first day or two I felt sort of speedy for a few hours after my dose.
That's it. Then there's a weeks long stretch of NOTHING. I constantly googled, "is this working?" type things.

Ultimately I began to notice my OCD, anxiety, and depression started to quiet down. Slowly at first, then more.

I believe that the meds can help you, but I understand your fear. 20 years ago I would do any drug any random stranger handed me at a party. But over time as my anxiety got worse and worse I became afraid to take so much as an Advil.

Unfortunately my OCD and depression got so bad, I decided I had no choice. I had to take the meds. And thankfully I did. Things are so much better now.

I wouldn't dare suggest you do something you aren't comfortable with. But I will say that if your anxiety gets worse and worse, there may come a day where you feel you have no choice. And if you can avoid that worse and worse cycle by taking meds now, that would be great.

Welcome to the boards! I wish you strength and luck. No one is alone here.
myocdragon
Bookmark and Share
I'm not crazy, I've just lost my mind

Tags: