Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Trouble gaining weight and other issues - freaking out  (Read 190 times)

Offline mikran

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Trouble gaining weight and other issues - freaking out
« on: April 26, 2014, 07:38:23 AM »
So after a one-and-a-half month long bout of HA concerning stomach- and esophageal ca I put my worries to rest after an upper endoscopy which checked out clear. I had a wonderful HA-free week before it returned two weeks ago after experiencing some indegestion and a recurrent, very obscure discomfort in my abdomen and back, although the back issues seem to be unrelated to the ones in my abdomen. Now I'm extremely worried that I might have pancreatic c. :(

Already during my first HA-ordeal I was concerned about weight-loss. Since I had been obese for years, I vigorously embarked on a weight-loss regimen together with my fiancée last spring (with low-carb diet and regular exercise). I went from 101 kg in May 2013 to 83 kg (222-182 lbs) by February this year. I was then hit with my HA and began attributing my weight-loss to a wasting disease rather than diet and exercise. To prove myself wrong, I started eating unhealthy food and stopped exercising. My weight-loss was put to a halt, but I hardly gained any weight. I began eating even more unhealthy food and candies such as pastries and chocolate bars in bigger quantities, but for the last two weeks I have only gained a mere 3 kg (7 lbs). I had hoped for at least a 5 kg (11 lbs) weight-gain. (TMI-warning ahead!) At the same time, my stools have turned loose and floating, although the color is normal. I also have to do no 2 more often than before; from once every second day to once a day. Together with the continued discomfort in my abdomen, I have started assuming the worst of all worst case scenarios. The nurses and doctors I have spoken with have reassured my that this is nothing serious, and that the loose BM can be explained by my radical change in diet. (to be fair, my fiencée's stools are also floating and she has gained about 4 kg /9 lbs in a month or so of unhealthy living.)

About a month ago, I had a full bloodwork done together with a urine sample since I was worried about diabetes due to very frequent urination and a slightly elevated blood sugar in a previous test. The test results checked out all clear; according to the doctor I had neither diabetes nor any issues with my kidneys or liver. As far as they're concerned I'm healthy as a horse. This is somewhat of a reassurance, although sinister diseases such as the dreaded pancreatic c are notoriously difficult to diagnose by blood tests. The fact that pancreatic c is exceedingly rare at my age (29) is of limited reassurance since it evidently does occur even among young people, although the risk for my age group is calculated at 1: 100 000 (0.001%). Last night I googled it (stupid, I know!) and found at least a handful of people aged 20-30 who had the misfortune of getting the disease, including two 29 year-olds from my country, which completely freaked me out  :(
The fact that I have never ever smoked and only been drinking alcohol in moderation is also of no comfort as virtually all survivor/patient stories I've seen tend to stress that they were always very healthy prior to diagnosis (just look at Steve Jobs). In fact, I'm under the impression that pancreatic c is a disease that strikes healthy people in particular, rather than the other way around.

Do I have reasons to fear this disease or is it my HA messing with my mind again? As for now I'm going nuts by the thought that I might have a terminal illness.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Trouble gaining weight and other issues - freaking out
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 10:12:05 AM »
Loose and floating stools are to be expected with a sudden influx in junk in your diet.  Fat is often what causes them to float, and your stomach is no longer used to digesting bad food, so it causes stomach pain and diarrhea.  Our bodies actually adapt to what we feed it, so eventually, if you leave a food out of your diet long enough, your body stops making the enzymes that allow it to digest easily. 

You're likely having a harder time gaining weight because your body is more efficient at burning calories now that you're more muscular from working out. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 12:19:12 PM »
You gained 7 lbs. why are you freaking out? You worked so hard to lose weight and now ironically you're letting your anxiety make you gain weight? C'mon man! Don't let HA do this to you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mikran

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 06:09:18 AM »
I admit that I have mistreated my body and it makes me sad, but I know that I'm able to loose that weight again once I start eating healthy and take up my exercise again.

Still I can't stop thinking of my digestive issues, especially since last night when I felt an abdominal pressure/slight pain after returning home from a party (with lots of less-healthy food and drink). Apart from the symptoms already mentioned, I have had a faint but persistent headache since last week, and for the past months my lower eylids have looked a bit dark and swollen. I have also had night sweats at several occasions during the past two weeks, although they were very mild (naturally lymphoma has also crossed my mind but I'm not worried of that atm as I don't have any swollen lymph nodes).

Nevertheless, I'm torn between emotion and logic, as with everyone suffering from HA. I have yet again researched pancreatic c in an attempt of reassurance and it seems that the disease is even less prevalent in my age group than I thought, more like 1: 500 000 or 0,000002 %. Also, pancreatic c is on the decline in my country. So logically, I should have all reason to let it go, but my fears are still bugging me.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: