Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Possible HIV exposure?  (Read 123 times)

Offline skleep

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Possible HIV exposure?
« on: April 25, 2014, 08:15:17 PM »
A while ago I walked barefoot for two blocks in a wealthy suburban area (I was going to my friend's house and my high heels had gotten really uncomfortable).  It was up kind of a steep sidewalk, and I was a bit drunk, but when I got to my friend's house I noticed that I had a cut on my big toe (about 1" wide, like someone sliced it with a knife or something).  I immediately worried I had somehow stepped on a needle, and cracked it open with my foot.  I know this is probably insane because I've never once seen a needle in her neighborhood (everyone there is basically a millionaire) plus even if it had been a needle, I probably wouldn't have gotten that shape cut from shattering one (there'd be shards, right?)

The more likely scenario, of course, is that I tripped on a grate (there are several leading up to her house).

But I'm still worried over a year later about possible HIV risk.  I initially wanted to get tested but I was told that would only be confirming my fears plus I was just tested last year. Should I put this to bed and stop thinking about it?  I never wound up getting any weird symptoms
Bookmark and Share

Offline AnxietyGrl91

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Possible HIV exposure?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 08:44:14 PM »
I know how you feel to an extent.

The thought of HIV is a very scary thing and I'm getting tested for the first time next week and I'm honestly terrified.

Though, I have done extensive research into HIV and the way it is contracted and it is highly, highly unlikely that you will get it from the cut on your feet/stepping on a needle especially in such a wealthy suburb.

The cut is probably due to you stepping on something sharp that wasn't a needle.

There is a 1/300 chance of contracting HIV from being prodded with a used needle, so even if you did, the chance of you getting it is very minimal.

It's still best to get tested. However, there is a window period regarding HIV where it could show up as negative on the test. You need to wait at least 3 months after possible exposure to get tested and for it to turn up in the test.

The chances are that you have not contracted it. Just relax and breathe and realize how slim your chances are.

I hope this helped. <3
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 08:56:53 PM »
You know the answer to your question...leave his alone and if you're oh so worried just he get a test. I see 0% chance of this being anything at all. A needle? You have more of a chance catching tetanus walking barefoot and getting cut than stepping on a stray needle. Even still, who used it? So many variables...it's a fragile virus. You don't have it and honestly I wouldn't get tested. I cut my foot last year at a park where some girl had just got the James river scratch and lost limbs. I got into the water and also walked around everywhere with blood dripping. No aids here..
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 09:13:42 PM »
There are so many "against-all-odds" scenarios that would ALL have to take place for you to have been infected on your walk home.

1. A stray needle would have to have been on the sidewalk where you were walking. Not very likely, but possible, sure.

2. That needle would have to have been used by an HIV positive person. And that person would have to have used that needle less than a few hours prior to you stepping on it. HIV is very fragile, it dies pretty quickly upon hitting the air. Most of the time it dies in minutes, but if the environment is right it "can" live on a surface for an hour or three.

3. So let's say, despite RIDICULOUSLY low odds the first two things I mentioned actually happened... You'd still have to have the virus enter your bloodstream. You said the cut was on your toe, a virus entering your bloodstream through a tiny cut on your toe just isn't going to happen.

You have to let this fear go, I know and understand the whole "what if this and what if that" type of thinking we do as hypochondriacs but this fear is completely irrational, I'm sorry that it's lasted this long.

You weren't infected, it's really as simple as that. I don't think you need to get tested and I really don't think you should. Take the next 20 minutes after you read this to keep thinking about what I just told you, and understand all the reasons you weren't infected. When that 20 minutes is up, don't give this fear another second of your life. A year is long enough. Move on.

Best wishes- AP
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Tags: