Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I've had my share of addictions, just wondering about sugar too!  (Read 297 times)

Offline bhandley

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Im not actually relaxed I just like having a cat
    • Poke This Member
Do any of you have sugar addictions and if so how do you deal with or beat it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
Re: I've had my share of addictions, just wondering about sugar too!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 01:00:22 PM »
Sugar addiction is about as bad as the other better known types. For me it is dark chocolate.

As soon as I succumb to even one temptation, it's all over. Everything is lost. The only way to beat it is to have not even one tiny piece. Forgive myself when I fall off the wagon and start again. Divert my attention with gum, fruit, going out to walk, exercising.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bhandley

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Im not actually relaxed I just like having a cat
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 06:41:39 PM »
Thats an interesting insight.... so is that controlling it? Is it possible to beat? I dont want to be a slave to these craving my whole life and if im not careful im heading for diabetes the way i binge on sugar when trying to restrict myself!
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 09:03:41 AM »
Have no special expertise, but did watch shows about the brain and read about it.

Addiction originates in the brain. Feel good reactions occur there and the cravings become established. We know that about alcohol, drugs, food, etc. We crave good feelings. Sugar can have the same effect. My guess is we're stuck with it. We can figure out what is our worst weakness (candy bars, cookies, cake, etc.) and never even start with it. Don't bring it in.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 11:55:10 PM »
Food is a hard addiction to address because we need food to survive (unlike alcohol, my fav) . My only suggestion would be to go to natural medicine like acupuncture, a regular doctor will just tell you to cut back I imagine. You can go on certain diets that cut out carbs/sugar but if you slip up you my find yourself binging on goodies (like I do, for me diet crashers are pizza and chips).
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ringil

• Lost Cat
  • Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Ringil & The 3 Mouseketeers
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 08:32:44 PM »
I have a peculiar sugar addiction that seems to be connected to my pain medication. I never was attracted to sugar, rarely ate ice cream or pies or desserts in general. About 6 months ago, I went on pain medication. I use it exactly as agreed - I get my daily ration out of the safe and I must go to bed without using more. So, I stall and usually use less than the daily allocation. But I crave sugar. I eat handfuls of cookies at night and I can't fall asleep unless I do it. Even when I awaken to go to the bathroom, I'll take a few more of the sugar blats so I can fall back asleep.

Someone suggested a spoonful of honey to block the cravings but I just couldn't bring myself to eat the honey. I hope you get a solution so I can learn from you.
Bookmark and Share
Anything I post is an opinion© and not necessarily a fact™. I've often benefitted from anecdotal guidance. Your mileage may vary.

Tags: