Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: First day off the xanax  (Read 224 times)

Offline Scottymc

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
First day off the xanax
« on: April 24, 2014, 06:42:19 PM »
Hi I'm new to the forum and need advice. I've been on a low does of Xanax for three years for GAD. My script is .5 but I only take a half a pill a day .25. My doctor switched me to klonopin 1mg per day. This dosage seems high since I was on such a low dose of xanax. I have 10 days worth of xanax left do if figured I would try to switch while I still had some xanax left if I needed it. I took a a couple days of work so I could transition at home. I took a quarter of pill of kpin this morning and just took another quarter a half hour ago. I don't feel that great a little dizzy and jittery. I figured the transition would be relatively easy since I was on such a low dose of xanax. Should I up the dosage of kpins? I was doing fine on the xanax, one bottle of .5's last me two months. Doc says kpin is better for everyday use. Should i taper off the xanax. Can I take them both together? Thanks in advance.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 135
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: First day off the xanax
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 08:07:31 PM »
Should i taper off the xanax. Can I take them both together?

Welcome to AnxietyZone,

Xanax and Klonopin are both benzodiazepines and work exactly the same. The only difference is that Xanax has a short half-life, about 12-15 hours, and Klonopin has a half-life of up to 50 hours. Their dose is the same too, 0.25mg Xanax is the equivalent of 0.25mg Klonopin. The only difference is that it takes a little longer for plasma levels of the Klonopin to peak. So there should be no point in taking both though there can be individual variations in their effects.

I suspect that the dizziness and jitters are due in part to the stress of changing meds. If this continues for more than 2-3 days then contact your doctor.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all suggestions are general in nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: