Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: gerd or worse? Need advice!  (Read 133 times)

Offline ryates80

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
gerd or worse? Need advice!
« on: April 24, 2014, 04:17:25 PM »
After all this time worrying over my heart they say its reflux. I knew I had it from time to time but not constantly. Now since I've been worrying about it my throat hurts and feels like I can't swallow. I've been worrying about esopageal strictures but I think that would be constant. I'm worrying so bad I thought about making myself sick just so I can make sure there's no blood. The doc prescribed nexium. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm terrified of side effects.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Walnut

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Re: gerd or worse? Need advice!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 06:45:01 PM »
GERD can cause all of the above problems. i have dealt with it and had my heart checked several times before i finally believed it was GERD.
I have at times had esophagael spasms and a lump in throat feeling. hard to swallow. ive also had the typical burning and stuff like that.
nexium is a great pill. i would not worry about side effects with nexium. they gave me nexium in the E.R. once when i went in thinking i was having a heart attack. what i thought was my heart beating funny was actually my esophagus spasming. it was very strong. within 30 minutes of that nexium my symptoms stopped.
i could not afford nexium so i took prilosec. i think they are both in the same drug class. prilosec is in a class called PPI, proton pump inhibitors. i think nexium is in that class also. the only real side effect that i know of with these drugs is long term use can cause bone fracture because it blocks calcium or something like that, but with that said this would be long term use at high doses. ive taken prilosec for about 8 years but not everyday. i would do a 2 week treatment. sometime id take it for a month. then several months id be fine and then have a flare up and start a new round. hope this helps you
Bookmark and Share
I am horrible about forgetting which threads I have replied to. If you dont get a reply back from me feel free to message me.

My screen name used to be "Nutty" Ive been a member since 2008. I forgot what email I used back then so I cant login to my old name.

Offline scared_dad

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: gerd or worse? Need advice!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 09:51:18 PM »
I had the same experience. I went to the E.R. thinking I was having a heart attack and walked out with Nexium. I followed up with a cardiologist several times, but she never fount any heart problems. Nexium is safe for short term use.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: