Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hello! Longtime lurker with lymphoma fears  (Read 232 times)

Offline AthenaNY

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hello! Longtime lurker with lymphoma fears
« on: April 24, 2014, 12:48:24 AM »
Hi everyone,

So, I'm having a sleepless night with my health anxiety.  For years, I have focused on getting lymphoma.  I don't know why I have such a horror of it.  I am a reasonably healthy 30/f with no family history of cancer, other than lung cancer my grandfather got from exposure to chemicals.

Anyway, I have been taking lexapro and it has helped some.  But the past few days I have been driving myself nuts.  I have a little lump under the skin by my groin, which I discovered about two days ago.  I have always been afraid of lymphoma but never had an actual lump so I feel like this time this is it for sure.

My husband, who is the picture of sanity, is unconcerned and he always refers back to the other times when "THIS WAS IT" and it turned out to be nothing.  But I can't shake it.  :(  Is a groin lump DEFINITELY cancer???  I don't have any other symptoms, except some minor back aches on occasion and some tiredness due to lack of sleep!

Sorry to vent, but I had to vent somewhere/  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 37
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hello! Longtime lurker with lymphoma fears
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 01:45:48 AM »
Lymphoma is a very common health anxiety worry.  At least it is here. 

No a lump in your groin is not definitely cancer.  It's probably NOT cancer in fact. 

It could be a swollen lymph node responding to a local or generalized infection.  It could be a cyst or an ingrown hair. 

Your husband is probably right that it's not anything to worry about.  You're on lexapro, what else are you doing to cope with your anxiety? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline gixxerfan

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 10:58:02 AM »
I had lymphoma HA also. I had mild fever constantly, and had night sweats.  I found an enlarged lymph node under my armpit. I was 100% sure about having Lymphoma or something similar serious disease.

Showed my enlarged lymph node to a surgeon, he said, its bigger because some fat tissue. I went through several tests including CT scan, and blood tests. I had even tested for HIV. Nothing came up.

After several months my HA faded away with my symptoms.

This was 15 years ago, and even with the multiple symptoms, it was nothing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AthenaNY

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 05:43:02 PM »
Thank you for your replies.  Gixxer, I am glad it was nothing!

Mollyfin, other than lexapro I am talking to a therapist and trying some guided meditation to calm down.  I am also trying to avoid google, but it is just so hard for me not to google knowing that there is information out there, even if I know that I don't have the training to interpret the information accurately.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 37
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 05:51:58 PM »
I know how you feel!  Knowing google is a bad idea, yet - somehow it's still so tempting!  Stay strong and AWAY from google; you can do it :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: