Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: High Blood Pressure  (Read 177 times)

Offline worriedlass

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
High Blood Pressure
« on: April 23, 2014, 04:13:49 PM »
What do you do when even the thought of getting your blood pressure taken gives you anxiety?
I can't even look at a blood pressure machine without getting nervous and scared.
I can't even take my blood pressure at home without it being high because I just get so nervous about it being high... which makes it high. What a catch-22.
I have no idea how I can tell if it's anxiety or a real problem.
Last year when I was having extreme heart worries, I forced myself to take my BP more frequently than I ever have before, and around the third time in a row it was relatively normal. Most of the time I can never calm myself down enough to get to a relaxed point. Even after I calmed down enough for it to be normal, I can never get back to that place.

I think a huge part of it is also being able to feel my pulse so strongly with the cuff. I don't like blood/heart/vein stuff so it freaks me out on top of me being worried something is wrong.

When I was 16 (I'm in my 20's now) my doctor freaked me out about BP. I have always been scared of going to the doctor, he told me that there is absolutely no reason somebody my age should have blood pressure as high as I do, and wouldn't leave it alone. My mom was in the office with me because I refused to go alone and I couldn't even talk to him because I was so scared. She told him that I get nervous at the doctor's office and he said it still shouldn't be high. I think that played a part in my phobia as well, because I thought there was something seriously wrong with me afterwards.

I know a lot of people have this problem, and I'm pretty sure there's no real solution to it, but if you have any tips or tricks sharing them would be great.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxietygal

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: High Blood Pressure
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 06:51:32 PM »
I have had the same problem with my white coat extending to my home machine.  The only thing that has helped me was just to keep taking my blood pressure.  I would take it a couple of times each day and after a week I would find that I wasn't nearly as anxious and my numbers would be good.  Now, I don't take it every day but I will take it for a few days in a row before any doctor's appointments to both desensitize myself and so that if it is high at the doctor's I can confidentially say that my numbers have been ok at home.  I think exposure is really the only answer to white coat hypertension.

Sorry the doctor freaked you out like that...I think sometimes they have extreme reactions because some people don't take symptoms seriously otherwise and some doctors don't realize how bad anxiety can be.
Bookmark and Share

Offline scared_dad

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 01:56:59 AM »
Wow, I have the same problem. I can psych myself into high blood pressure readings -- even at home. I also go back to a scary experience with a doctor's visit where she berated me about my high reading.

It makes me never want to go to the doctor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worriedlass

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 12:53:46 PM »
Oh, I wish I could convince myself to take my bp more often, the fear just takes over me though, and I know it's a ridiculous fear, it's not like the bp machine is actually going to hurt me, it's just the worry about getting an awful reading, which has happened many times.

I get SO anxious about going to the doctor, basically this is how my process goes... something is wrong (or seemingly wrong) I get way too frightened to go to the doctor, I over think my problem for weeks until it gets to a "life or death" situation (in my head) I tell myself that going to the doctor is better than dying, I go to the doctor, everything's almost always fine.

I'm having the same problem with my wisdom teeth and going to the dentist right now, I need them removed and I'm finally almost getting to that point where the annoyingness of the tooth and stress about thinking of the dentist is greater than my fear of getting them pulled, I'm not quite there yet, but I hope to be soon. I just keep getting these anxious thoughts and thinking about the worst parts like if I'm going to have to get put under, if that's the case I need my BP taken... well I've read that in some cases they don't put you under if your bp is too high, oh well mine's definitely going to be through the roof. I'm also slightly scared of getting put under. If I don't get put under I'm going to have to sit there consciously trying not to have a panic attack while a man is cutting into my gums and pulling my embedded teeth out. In my mind it's just the worst thing that could possibly happen right now, but in reality I know it will likely not be that long of a process and although it will be uncomfortable I will feel much better after it's done, and after I'm healed.

I have no idea how I'm going to go through pregnancy or a more serious surgery when and if either of those things ever happen :/
Bookmark and Share

Offline AOKAY

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 03:36:56 PM »
I can fully identify, Lass.  Just looking at the pressure cuff makes my readings go up, even at home.  In the doctor's office, it is ridiculously high.
I'm a perfectionist, with white coat syndrome.  For years now I have been told by doctors and nurses that my pressure is not perfect and I hate them for it, and especially hate myself that I cannot "will" my blood pressure to be perfect.
I agree with Gal's comment that the only way to get an accurate reading at home is to desensitize yourself by taking it over and over again as you relax, like on a Sunday afternoon.  But, my current primary care doctor says that is not a normal pressure reading and I should be taking it when I am stuck in traffic to know what my real normal is (but is that really normal?).
I would not mind going to the doctor if they would just stop taking my BP.  Blood pressure is always the first thing they do, because it is so easy, like weighing you.  So I know I'm going to be told I am not perfect a minute into the visit.  No wonder I hate it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worriedlass

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 08:05:26 AM »
Aokay, I would be so much more okay with going to the doctor if they didn't take my blood pressure ! I don't think that getting stuck in traffic would  render a normal reading unless you're stuck in traffic for most of your day, which likely isn't the case. Plus for people like us,  with the stress of traffic on top of the huge stress of the Bp machine, I can only imagine that ridiculously high inaccurate number.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 08:46:12 AM »
This has been a problem for me for years. The truth, I believe, is that BP is mostly a mystery in many instances. It is bound to fluctuate, even with our own readings.

I have medication and am sure to take it if I go to the doctor, which I keep to a minimum. Otherwise, I'm convinced that if I get some good readings I'm satisfied. I do meditate every day, keep breathing slow and even, feeling confident this is helping. Keep breaths to less than 10 per minute. Normal breathing rate is about 17 per minute. And in traffic I am surprisingly calm. Maybe I should take some readings then. :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: