Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: How many people know about your anxiety?  (Read 632 times)

Offline LyssaLou

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: How many people know about your anxiety?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 03:32:30 PM »
My therapist, doctor, mother, stepfather, my grandparents ( somewhat ), and my boyfriend. My youngest sister would be too young to quite understand that anxiety means almost I am "mentally sick", and my other younger sister may have figured it out but she doesn't know details, only things she has overheard me and my mom say. Some of my coworkers know I have anxiety, but not really details, just that I have anxiety in general. My parents, therapist, and boyfriend know the most.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Swedishworry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 03:47:56 PM »
I tell all my friends and family, when i feel bad i can talk to anyone of them :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stephanielee90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 01:17:19 AM »
Only a select few people know the extent of my anxieties. Most people would be none the wiser as it's something I have kept to myself for years.
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 08:13:36 AM »
I used to keep it a secret for the most part when it first came to fruition. I only told my family (Mom, Dad, Sister) and my girlfriend (Now fiancee). I mean, prior to knowing what it was, I thought I had either heart issues (Due to the racing heart and chest pressure. I got it checked out by a Cardiologist and I am fine) or gastrointestinal issues (I went to a couple of different Gastroenterologists and was even hospitalized for severe stomach pains and nausea), so I would tell people it was related to either of those.

Then I went to my GP and she said it seems like anxiety, so I took that route. I was a shut-in for awhile. I didn't want to go anywhere but home and work (Well, I didn't really want to go to work, but in order to keep my insurance I have to go!). The thought of even going to the supermarket or a restaurant killed me. I still feel uneasy, but I've been pushing myself to readjust back into society.

After some time I told some co-workers and I told other friends. I didn't want them to think I wasn't seeing them for no reason... I did miss my friends immensely, but I was too anxious to do anything. Finally one day I had a friend come over my house and I felt anxious, but it was a building block and I took it from there.

I'm not embarassed anymore of it. It's an illness, just like if someone has diabetes - they take medicine, they tell people (Well, the people close to them), and so on. Anxiety disorders such as ours are no different, and they should be treated the same. We don't choose to feel like this - I know I don't, but I also want to live my life to the fullest. So now I will tell anyone (Well, not strangers on the street, but other extended family members and acquaintances [sp?]), but note that I've been taking medicine. Most people don't even know when I get a minor panic attack. I keep it on the inside and trudge through social interactions, but on the inside it's chaos at times.

Keeping a Xanax in my pocket also helps. I'll usually keep one or two pills (.25mg each) on-hand as a safety blanket. I almost always have water with me, just in case I need to take them. But lately I've been trying to venture out without them it another step I am taking to try and stray away from depending on the medicine. Is it hard at times? Well, yes. But I feel like I need to push myself, and the medicine is just a tool that I can use in times of need. It won't hold my hand through everything - I need to take charge.
Bookmark and Share

Offline katiejanekaboom

• Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 09:16:49 PM »
My mom, dad, sister, and my cousin. I don't tell anyone because it isn't their business. If I thought it was important they knew, I'd tell them. I don't try to hide it, though, and I would never lie. I am who I am! I just don't bring it up for no reason. (Not saying that is a bad thing though. I'm just not super open with people.)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Peanut the kidnapper (UK)

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 11:24:17 AM »
It's really great to read these posts- to know that other people have the same problems that I do in deciding who to tell. I agree we need to be as open as possible about it - as a previous post says, it is a disease and most people are very open about non-mental health conditions. I have never had a negative reaction, but I have to confess that I do limit who I tell to close friends, medical profesionals, and a select number of work colleagues. I'm careful about who I tell at work in case it makes them think I'm less capable than they percieve me to be without that knowledge.

What I could do with is a famous male public or historical figure to point to and say, look this man's a hero, or whatever, and he suffered from anxiety. Depression is littered with well known sufferers, some of whom are very highly regarded. But anxiety still seems to be seen as something men shouldn't suffer from. Any ideas?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smalm

• Live everyday like it's your last for one day will be your last!
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • treatment in progress, better life, no HA!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2014, 01:15:51 AM »
Unfortunately I have never been very good at hiding my anxiety problems. I honeslty dont know how I could hide a panic attack. Thankfully I come from a long line of worriers who understand me well.
I live in the same way... my dad, aunts, uncles, cousins, grand parents, friends, doctors, and cat know that I have anxiety... My cat comes to kneed into me or sleep in my lap when I have anxiety, or better she will let me put her into my sweater and take her on a walk, my cat is the purrfect thing for my anxiety... I'm on vacation without her and I have tosay that that is one of the reason that my anxiety is so high.  :laugh3:+ :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share
Hypochondria is like a shadow, always there. I used to do so much fun stuff without my anxiety and now I do so little with it :(

Offline HNDFL

• Mood: Angry
    Angry
  • Never Give Up Never Back Down
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2014, 01:50:29 PM »
When my anxiety first started I only talked with my parents and doctor about it. I wouldn't tell my best friend about it. Then one day I was talking to a friend I have had for a long time and he told me that he had anxiety issues. Since then I have been open and honest about it to almost anyone!!
Bookmark and Share
"The truth is you don't know what is going to happen tomorrow. Life is a crazy ride, and nothing is guaranteed." -Eminem

Offline Cwhite513

Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 04:32:45 PM »
Not that many. For years it was only my doc that knew. I'd make up excuses like Migraines or my kids were sick if I didn't want to get in a situation that caused me anxiety. Recently the last few months I've been having a hard time again with my anxiety. I have told some of my best friends. One of them is actually in the same boat. She's having panic attacks and feeling crippled by them. I am glad to have someone who understands!
Bookmark and Share

Offline lfiasche

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2014, 12:28:54 PM »
 I was really embarrassed to tell anyone....now I find it refreshing to talk about. I don't run up to people in the street and announce it but if it comes up it comes up. If someone judges you based on that..you don't need them in your life. As previously mentioned, You wouldn't believe how many people have the same or similar issues.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AfternoonRose

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2014, 07:25:05 PM »
I, too, feel afraid to be judged for a problem that may sound so irrelevant or superficial to "normal" people... I don't expect people to understand, so I have not told anyone about my anxiety. It stays in me and it has for a very long time... I tried telling my long term partner only once, but I didn't feel like it was something they wanted to hear, nor did it feel like it was something they are willing to support if need be. So I keep it to myself. I am a very secretive person by nature, i don't open up to anyone anyway...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Anxious Freak

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 04:55:16 AM »
Almost everyone I know.
Bookmark and Share
GAD SUCKS

Offline sophiesufc

Content
  • Hi!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 07:51:09 AM »
 ::)
the majority of my family know now ever since i was in hospital; a lot of my friends know and some teachers, as they have to know in case i have an attack in school times and also my boyfriend
Bookmark and Share
It may be stormy now, but it can't rain forever.

Offline abigailb

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2014, 10:55:41 AM »
I hid it for pretty much my whole life, but I opened up a few months ago to my boss because I didn't want to risk being seen as lazy for missing work too often. After I opened up I found so many other coworkers who have similar issues, and they provide a lot of support for me. I know that I can make it to work in the morning because I have several women I can talk to and they will understand and commiserate. They can also give advice since they have gone through the same thing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline White Chocalate

• Take in it Easy
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2014, 05:56:55 PM »
I've told most of my friends, my brother, and my father. I try to tell my mother and the rest of my friends but they always end up saying stuff like "What are you so anxious about?" or "Well just quit worrying so much!" Which is obviously no help at all and makes me a little angry. So I have to be careful who I share it with.
I agree, its pretty hard to explain to someone that hasn`t a clue what they are talking about.....How about when they mud sling those words in a disagreement ....that pushes my away fast and is very insulting.  I either attack or leave, no neutral ground when that happens ....
Bookmark and Share