Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: How many people know about your anxiety?  (Read 2915 times)

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: How many people know about your anxiety?
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 01:28:16 AM »
Few... But I am starting to open up more about it. Of course, very few actually understand it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline VBFear

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 10:56:07 PM »
Two know really well (my husband and an old college friend who also has anxiety), and my parents and sisters know of it, but don't really understand so I can't explain the extent.  I think it's a lot easier to talk about to other people who have it, or at least understand it.  I normally feel anxiety even making forum posts like these, but knowing that everyone else here understands is a huge weight off.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 79
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 11:01:10 AM »
I have only told people about my HA when absolutely necessary, such as my internal medicine
physician, my wife, daughter, etc.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline TyeDyedButterfly

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 20
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2014, 11:20:58 AM »
Everyone knows I have always felt that being up front and honest would make people more aware of why I am not always around or being my old self because I did try to fake it and hide it but then people just thought I was being rude or didn't like them or even better then them so I told about what I was dealing with which is a lot and not just mental but also physical well guess what didn't matter because most didn't care and still expected the same out of me or they actually talked bad about me or acted like I would be over it in one day.
Honesty is the best way to go but doesn't mean it changes anything as I have learned most are all about themselves and honestly could care less.

People also do a lot of comparing they will say I have that!! I Then say tell me what you go through and how you function well No they don't have what I have they may have a mild form but they think each person has the exact same issues so not true .

For me either way doesn't matter . Good Luck and go with your gut feeling .
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

God is Good all the Time! All the Time God is Good! :)

Offline perpetualrebound

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2014, 01:15:15 PM »
Unfortunately I have never been very good at hiding my anxiety problems. I honeslty dont know how I could hide a panic attack. Thankfully I come from a long line of worriers who understand me well. Sadly I am pretty far away from most of them though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline LyssaLou

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 03:32:30 PM »
My therapist, doctor, mother, stepfather, my grandparents ( somewhat ), and my boyfriend. My youngest sister would be too young to quite understand that anxiety means almost I am "mentally sick", and my other younger sister may have figured it out but she doesn't know details, only things she has overheard me and my mom say. Some of my coworkers know I have anxiety, but not really details, just that I have anxiety in general. My parents, therapist, and boyfriend know the most.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Swedishworry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 03:47:56 PM »
I tell all my friends and family, when i feel bad i can talk to anyone of them :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stephanielee90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 01:17:19 AM »
Only a select few people know the extent of my anxieties. Most people would be none the wiser as it's something I have kept to myself for years.
Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 08:13:36 AM »
I used to keep it a secret for the most part when it first came to fruition. I only told my family (Mom, Dad, Sister) and my girlfriend (Now fiancee). I mean, prior to knowing what it was, I thought I had either heart issues (Due to the racing heart and chest pressure. I got it checked out by a Cardiologist and I am fine) or gastrointestinal issues (I went to a couple of different Gastroenterologists and was even hospitalized for severe stomach pains and nausea), so I would tell people it was related to either of those.

Then I went to my GP and she said it seems like anxiety, so I took that route. I was a shut-in for awhile. I didn't want to go anywhere but home and work (Well, I didn't really want to go to work, but in order to keep my insurance I have to go!). The thought of even going to the supermarket or a restaurant killed me. I still feel uneasy, but I've been pushing myself to readjust back into society.

After some time I told some co-workers and I told other friends. I didn't want them to think I wasn't seeing them for no reason... I did miss my friends immensely, but I was too anxious to do anything. Finally one day I had a friend come over my house and I felt anxious, but it was a building block and I took it from there.

I'm not embarassed anymore of it. It's an illness, just like if someone has diabetes - they take medicine, they tell people (Well, the people close to them), and so on. Anxiety disorders such as ours are no different, and they should be treated the same. We don't choose to feel like this - I know I don't, but I also want to live my life to the fullest. So now I will tell anyone (Well, not strangers on the street, but other extended family members and acquaintances [sp?]), but note that I've been taking medicine. Most people don't even know when I get a minor panic attack. I keep it on the inside and trudge through social interactions, but on the inside it's chaos at times.

Keeping a Xanax in my pocket also helps. I'll usually keep one or two pills (.25mg each) on-hand as a safety blanket. I almost always have water with me, just in case I need to take them. But lately I've been trying to venture out without them it another step I am taking to try and stray away from depending on the medicine. Is it hard at times? Well, yes. But I feel like I need to push myself, and the medicine is just a tool that I can use in times of need. It won't hold my hand through everything - I need to take charge.
Bookmark and Share

Offline katiejanekaboom

• Mood: Content
    Content
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 09:16:49 PM »
My mom, dad, sister, and my cousin. I don't tell anyone because it isn't their business. If I thought it was important they knew, I'd tell them. I don't try to hide it, though, and I would never lie. I am who I am! I just don't bring it up for no reason. (Not saying that is a bad thing though. I'm just not super open with people.)
Bookmark and Share