Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Does anyone else have trichotillomania?  (Read 211 times)

Offline makeitcount

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Does anyone else have trichotillomania?
« on: April 20, 2014, 09:11:47 AM »
I'm now almost 22, but have suffered from trichotillomania since I was very young. I picked up the behavior from a girl at church, but mine just never stopped. I do not have the typical urge to pull out my hair at all - I just compulsively want to get rid of the split ends. So, instead I break off the ends, but I do end up losing hair too. It's a behavior that goes along with my anxiety, and it makes a mess and makes me look terrible. No one but my parents know I actually have it...I have never been able to tell friends, or even my husband, though the fact that my hair is really uneven and short is obvious.

I found beckie0 on YouTube last year and I have appreciated her speaking out about the disorder. I just can't seem to publicly own up to it. I am constantly jealous of everyone around me with "normal" hair, and I think about it allllll the time. My thoughts about how terrible I look lead to more pulling, because they make me anxious, and I think as I'm pulling that I'm only making the problem worse, but I often can't stop. I haven't been able to go to a hairdresser since I was 14. Too much anxiety. My sister had to do my hair for my wedding because I won't let professionals touch it for fear of them knowing about my disorder.

I figure this might be a good place to talk about this particular disorder. I have never really talked about it with anyone else who has it...would love some support and advice!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bluerose

• Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does anyone else have trichotillomania?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 02:21:14 AM »
I don't have the hair pulling, but I have OCD which is considered a related condition.  I do twist my hair sometimes if it's long.  I did it in front of friends sometimes and they'd say -- Quit twirling your hair.  To me this compulsion was soothing and the first time I remember doing it I was only 3 years old.  All my other obsessions and compulsions are anything but soothing and can cause a lot of turmoil.  But I was lucky I didn't loose hair by doing the twisting.  This is one of the reasons I keep my hair short.  Also because it's naturally thin and looks too stringy when it grows out.  The cut I've had for some time is called a blended wedge.  I guess some would call it a pixie.  I'm sorry you're in so much distress about this.  Maybe you could see a therapist about this -- a cognitive behavior therapist may be best, unless you are dealing with emotional issues that are causing the hair pulling.
Bookmark and Share
You wanted justice, but there was none, only love.

Offline makeitcount

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 03:39:44 PM »
I don't really feel like it's emotional issues that cause it completely. I can be feeling just fine and still get the urge to pull. But, I do think as my anxiety flares up it becomes harder to resist the urge because I'm able to relax a little while doing it. Like you mentioned with your hair twirling, it's just soothing for some reason.

I have times when I do great and then I have times when I go a day and cannot take my hands from my hair. It's just so frustrating!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 05:43:53 PM »
I don't pull mine but I pick my head.  Like I'll find a tiny pimple or scab and pick at it, then keep looking for more - and it's exactly like you said, it's a "soothing" thing.  I'll be full of anxiety and it calms me like a baby sucking it's thumb!
Bookmark and Share