Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Intensive Outpatient program/partial hospitalization programs  (Read 99 times)

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Has anyone been involved with one of these programs? Where you're involved with therapy programs/treatment and eval for a full day at the hospital but you go home in the afternoon or evening?

I might talk to my doctor if she thinks this would be beneficial for me.  I feel like I've been doing a lot of the things I should be CBT journaling, exercise, getting more sleep, taking my medication yet I still don't have my anxiety under control. I am in the process of a career change, and while I am excited about the new possibilities and having positive thoughts, my anxiety is still in a tailspin. I took my ativan three days in a row which is very unusual to me.  I am sleep deprived because I'm staying up late working on cover letters, sending resumes etc.

Anyway, so I have a follow-up appointment in 3 weeks, and thought maybe that since I have this transition anyway between jobs maybe doing a week in the partial hospitalization program might be a good way to utilize some of that time. I don't know if my insurance will cover it so that may be an issue but i'm mainly interested in hearing experiences of others whove done something like this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jwall378

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Intensive Outpatient program/partial hospitalization programs
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 11:12:13 AM »
I did an IOP 2 years ago and helped me a lot. I was to the point where I couldn't go anywhere without anxiety/panic. Luckily, I work for a good company and they gave me paid time off for the 12 week program. For the 1st month, I went 4 days a week for 7 hours a day. I was gradually reduced down to 3 days a week for 3 hours per day and finally twice a week for 3 hours a day. Besides the counselors, they had doctors at the facility to make sure you were on the correct meds (if needed) and that you were complying with the meds. I am now able to manage my anxiety a lot better.
Bookmark and Share
The more we think about things, the worse they get.

"Don't worry, about a thing. 'Cause every little thing's gonna be alright"-Bob Marley

Tags: