Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: drugs and alcohol  (Read 166 times)

Offline darkerqt1

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
drugs and alcohol
« on: April 19, 2014, 06:25:01 AM »
So my anxiety just recently started back up. Freaked out a bit and went to the doc twice in the last month. All test came back normal. I know this is crazy considering I have had health anxiety and felt like I beat it but I do enjoy going hang out with friends at bars and drinking. The day after drinking I feel a little more anxious. always have but since I got past my bad health anxiety stage in life I just delt with the one bad day after drinking because it only lasted that long. Now I am slipping back into my health anxiety. A few times I had gone out after a night of drinking and in my drunken state did some coke with a few friends. Still same result. Just a little anxious the next day and after that day I was fine. Lately my anxiety has kicked back into the beginning stages of how it was when I first started with the health anxiety. only difference is now I know 90% of the time it is anxiety so I don't panic as much. I have vowed to refrain from drinking as much in my life now because its coming back full force and to stay away from drugs. But being the health freak I am I cant help but freak out and think that the alcohol drugs and cigarettes I have done weekend my heart and I am going to die from a heart attack. Evan when I am told that my heart is perfectly fine. Does anyone else have the problem of being told your test are fine and you still get a numb left arm or chest pain that is real and think its your heart? I mean if I wait a while it always passes and I tell myself ok if its something serous just have the phone by you and if it isn't just wait and see if it passes. If it passes then I know it isn't serous. And as many times as the arm pain numbness and chest pain are real they always pass and I know it was my anxiety. But I cant help but think I have damaged my heart and what I have been feeling the last few weeks on and of all day is really a heart problem. Do any of you have that feeling? Maybe not so much the drugs and what not but the real sensation that something is wrong even when logic tells you its not?
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: drugs and alcohol
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 07:54:17 AM »
There is a fine balance between GABA and Glutamate in the brain.  GABA=all is well...I feel great.  Glutamate=activation of the nervous system and anxiety in anxious folks.  When you drink GABA predominates, but in withdraw the next day Glutamate predominates...thus increasing anxiety.  It's why drugs and alcohol are only a quick fix for the moment then make things worse as they can trigger anxious episodes.  If you have underlying mental illness which most here do, drugs and alcohol are a major no no.  They exacerbate symptoms and cause damage for days to weeks within the brain chemistry after just one night on the town.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: drugs and alcohol
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 08:59:28 PM »
I don't know how often you've done coke, however it can put you at risk for acute heart problems or stroke with even occasional use, and more regular use could accelerate atherosclerosis, blockages in the arteries. I am not saying that there is real heart damage for you, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to be honest with your doctor about your substance use, describe your symptoms. A cardiac stress test may not be out of line to get.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: