Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I cant take it anymore someone please help me.  (Read 306 times)

Offline Dpunicorn

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I cant take it anymore someone please help me.
« on: April 18, 2014, 07:19:23 PM »
How easy is it for a person to run out of oxygen and die. When im eating or just sitting i feel smothered and I cant breathe and I get get terrified that I'll suffocate and die even if its just some seconds without oxygen I'm convinced I'm gonna die. I can barely drink liquids or eat anymore because I learned that the airway closes when your eating and drinking and that terrifies me. I also learned that if you can cough your airway is not blocked so now i sub-consciously cough all of the time, especially while eating. Please someone who know about the human body tell me the way suffocation works and how easy is it to die from lack of air. I just cant take this ***** anymore.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I cant take it anymore someone please help me.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 07:26:20 PM »
Point blank, it's NOT!  That's why people can't kill themselves by holding their breath, they will pass out so the brain can force them to take breaths.

Your brain doesn't want to die and oxygen is it's lifeblood. 

Yes, your airway closes when you eat or drink, that's to protect it from food or water entering and choking you or causing pneumonia.  It's perfectly normal and your body's way of preserving itself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I cant take it anymore someone please help me.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 06:18:12 AM »
You can't.

What you're describing is a lot like how I felt when I first started having panic attacks a long time ago.  I felt like I was dying - it literally felt like I couldn't breathe.  But as my therapist at the time pointed out, no one has ever died from a panic attack! 

Your airway closes briefly when you swallow food because of a little flap that covers it to keep what you're eating from going down into your windpipe.  That's how our bodies are designed - if we didn't have it, eating would be a dangerous affair!  But you can breathe and eat at the same time, right?  Just not at the precise moment when you swallow.  That's how we're supposed to be. 

If your airway is truly blocked, you don't wonder "what if?"  If you can breathe, talk, eat, etc, your airway is not blocked.  If you can sit and exist comfortably, your airway is not blocked. 

Anxiety is a bitch, but that's all that you're suffering from.  Your airway is fine.  Your brain is the thing messing with you!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: