Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Visual Snow  (Read 145 times)

Offline penguin

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Visual Snow
« on: April 18, 2014, 05:57:26 PM »
Has anyone here experienced visual snow (VS).  It is similar to seeing poor TV reception-static and is worse in the dark.  I have this phenomenon which seems to have no treatment.  Although I have been told it is more common in those with migraine (which I have), I was wondering if those of us with anxiety or more likely to experience it.  Not good for someone with healthy anxiety-freaks me out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ejwall

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Re: Visual Snow
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 09:25:35 PM »
I get visual snow when I get a migraine. These migraines are called "silent" migraines, because I don't get a lot of pain, only a mild headache and vague "hungover" feeling for a couple of days.  I've been getting them since at least the seventh grade, and they're harmless (but definitely scary).  The visual snow is apparently caused by some (mild, harmless) swelling of the blood vessels near the optic nerve.  Sometimes the snow only takes up a little of my field of vision, but usually it starts in one eye and spirals over into the other.  It's usually completely gone in about 20 minutes.  Whenever the "snow" starts, I take a Tylenol, and put something cold on the back of my neck.  Every time I get one I worry that it won't go away, but it always does!  Try to relax and let it run its course, and know that you're ok.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Visual Snow
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 06:09:06 AM »
Has anyone here experienced visual snow (VS).  It is similar to seeing poor TV reception-static and is worse in the dark.  I have this phenomenon which seems to have no treatment.  Although I have been told it is more common in those with migraine (which I have), I was wondering if those of us with anxiety or more likely to experience it.  Not good for someone with healthy anxiety-freaks me out.

I've had this since I was a very young child.  I've also had anxiety (and migraines!) since I was a very young child, and I definitely notice it more when I'm anxious.  I don't know if there's a connection beyond that, but it seems pretty normal for a lot of people. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: