Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: When Normal Anxiety Became Chronic  (Read 241 times)

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
When Normal Anxiety Became Chronic
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:34:29 PM »
Does anyone remember when their anxiety became chronic, or a disorder? 
I remember when mine started.  It was during a time of high emotional stress; also physical stress, I was having chronic pain from a muscular injury.  I haven't been the same since, but I am not as bad as I was (anxiety). 

Just wondering if anyone remembers when their anxiety journey began.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snowy

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: When Normal Anxiety Became Chronic
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 12:04:20 AM »
My story is exactly the same, down to the muscular injury.  I've been having family problems for over a year, which didn't really bother me until it became even worse over winter.  I'm normally depressed in the winter, so this made things twice as bad.  I've always had anxiety, though, but before it was mostly social.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did your muscle ache?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ange7894

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 07:43:26 AM »
Mine became more severe when I started dating my husband. My type of anxiety is a persistent fear of something gruesome and horrible happening to him or my daughter. My brain will just come up with random detailed images of horrible accidents, and most of the time they hit me out of nowhere. I think they got worse when we started dating because for the first time I was terrified of losing someone I cared about so much. Once we had a child, then it just escalated more. Now I'm trying to deal with it because more times than not, it completely takes over and I'm just bombarded by horrible images.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 11:52:03 AM »
Hi, well I had a bad tear in my hip (near the top of my thigh) muscle.  I went through physical therapy, but the pain (on a daily basis) lasted for a year, and it was pretty bad pain.  The injury interfered with my exercise, which affected my anxiety even more because I couldn't burn off all those stress hormones.  It was just a bad time, personally and physically, I haven't really recovered since.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snowy

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 10:49:15 PM »
Carrie - That sounds quite painful, I'm sorry about that happening!  Mine wasn't nearly that bad.  It's been two months since the pull/strain whatever it was, and it's a ton better.  It made me become hyper aware of every little twinge in that area, though. ):
On a positive note, today is the first time I got through a long store without feeling sore and panicky from it. (:
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 09:41:31 AM »
Mine became more severe when I started dating my husband. My type of anxiety is a persistent fear of something gruesome and horrible happening to him or my daughter. My brain will just come up with random detailed images of horrible accidents, and most of the time they hit me out of nowhere. I think they got worse when we started dating because for the first time I was terrified of losing someone I cared about so much. Once we had a child, then it just escalated more. Now I'm trying to deal with it because more times than not, it completely takes over and I'm just bombarded by horrible images.

I'M THE SAME WAY !!!! those intrusive, awful thoughts of something happening to my daughter, close family or myself! It's very detailed and makes me sick to my stomach! Plus I have extreme hypochondria on top of it. So every little symptom/ailment = somthing deadly or horrible in my mind!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ange7894

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 03:56:11 PM »
You're the first person I've ever "met" who experiences the same thing. I feel so crazy sometimes because no one can see what my brain is creating. It's like a full blown movie in my head. I see every gory detail. It's not even that I really believe it's going to happen, it just sometimes feels so real that I have to remind myself that it didn't happen. The emotions get so strong sometimes that I forget it's not reality.

I also have occasional hypochondriac tendencies. Again, not that I really believe it's true, but my brain starts imagining the whole scenario playing out (hospital, dying, how my husband/daughter would react), and I immediately get that amped up, panicky feeling inside. Are you a total control freak too? It took a long time for me to make the connection; that I'm a control freak as a result of my anxiety. The more I can feel in control of things, the better I'm able to cope.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: