Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Oral screening showed abnormal things  (Read 151 times)

Offline Masond_06

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Oral screening showed abnormal things
« on: April 17, 2014, 07:41:21 PM »
I went to the dentist today for raised areas in the back if my throat and he did an oral screening that showed some abnormal areas. It's got my anxiety through the roof. It also doesn't help that everytime lately after I eat I feel nauseated and like I can throw up. Not related to anxiety. My throat is a bit sore and I just haven't felt good lately.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Masond_06

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Oral screening showed abnormal things
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 07:42:14 PM »
Oh course I'm worried about the worse and also that I have stomach cancer because of spreading
Bookmark and Share

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Oral screening showed abnormal things
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 08:53:43 PM »
So what has the dentist suggested you do next about these abnormalities?

If you have something lined up already, like going for some tests or something, then you have to tell yourself that you cannot do anything right now. Worrying about it will only maintain your health anxiety - and if you want to overcome it, this is not helping. So tell yourself that worrying about it is not going to help and you have done all you can possibly do for now. So try and let it go and in the meantime, try and relax and work towards overcoming your anxiety.

This is the only advice I can give you. I know this is easier said than done - and if I was in your position, I would most likely also be panicking constantly about it. But this won't help you.

One tip I find works for me is this: you cannot stop yourself from worrying - especially if your mind jumps to the worse case scenario - I always do it. However, you can control that anxiety. What I mean by this is you can have those worrying thoughts but not allow those thoughts to get ahead of you. And in some respect, you have to let the worry run its course. Allow it to happen and analyse it. Think about how you feel. Think about the kind of thoughts you are having  - log them. Then try and rationalise them. Challenge them. Look at them from someone else's perceptive. Ask yourself, "If I didn't have health anxiety, what would I think of these thoughts?" or even, "If I didn't have health anxiety, what would I think about the abnormalities… would I think they are cancer?" etc. and this may start to help.

But the least thing you want to do is merely sit there and allow the worry to get ahead of you and interfere with your life.

I hope this helps your worries - I really feel for your worries and I hope you can get better.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: