Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: All these news on viruses are making me anxious  (Read 140 times)

Offline jvrbax

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
All these news on viruses are making me anxious
« on: April 17, 2014, 07:16:39 AM »
Hi all,

All these news on news trains of the bird flu and the growing MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) are making me feel really anxious.

Just yesterday, it was confirmed that a person with confirmed MERS virus returned to our home country. He and his family are currently in quarantine.

I'm also scared about the bird flu in China. I have a trip to Hong Kong this June for work and I am deathly terrified of it.

I know it's good to take precautions but I can't help but think of those disastrous scenarios from doomsday movies happening to us in real life. :(

Although the avian flu is said to have not yet developed into a strain that causes human-to-human transmission, I feel that it's only a matter of time. :(

The MERS virus isn't helping too as it is coined by scientists as deadlier than the SARS virus which caused panic back in 2003.

I feel so paralyzed right now. I just want to lock myself here at home until those deadly viruses are cleared up.

I can handle benign viruses such as the common cold, but these things on the news are just too much. :(
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
Re: All these news on viruses are making me anxious
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »
As far as I'm concerned there is simply much too much info out there to make us all nuts. Sensationalism is the order of the day. One newscast tries to outdo another. They must compete to make the biggest, most shocking splash. How can we protect ourselves?

By being calm, being reasonable, being optimistic, confident, and watching as little news as possible. This way we strengthen our own immune system which fights off invaders that can appear at any time, anywhere. Eat well, lots of fluids, water, tea, plenty fruit, and I add Vit. C every day. Let reason and confidence prevail and not the shock promoters.
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 09:05:31 AM »
What country are you from????

I know EXACTLY what you mean!!  Even West Nile Virus, when I'm out at dusk and see mosquitoes and I go back inside I am inspecting my body for bites, then if I find one I start to worry!  It was NEVER like this! (the media I mean)
Bookmark and Share

Online Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 12:20:37 PM »
Every little bug is so sensationalized nowadays that it's ridiculous.  I have traveled all over the world, including some not so nice parts, and nothing bad has happened.  I have been sneezed on by Chinese citizens and had direct contact with soldiers just coming back from the middle east... 

Try to look at it mathematically:  how many cases of MERS are ther in your country?  How many people are there?  Divide # of cases by # of people and????  Unless you live on a desert island with five other people then the chances of coming into contact with MERS are lower than the chance of winning the lottery.

If you are going to China on business and will be in a major city then I would not worry.  Hygiene there is very good and most (very rare) issues occur in rural areas.

Speaking to your doc about treating your anxiety would be my advice.  Hang in there and enjoy Asia...I had a blast there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 06:36:28 PM »
SARS turned out to be quite a nonissue ultimately, though.  Didn't wipe out mankind, etc.  So "even more deadly" than that isn't really that big a deal.  Swine flu, the big panic?  For 99% of people it just turned out to be an unusually unpleasant flu.

I'd be worried if I were traveling to Zaire (wait, it's not Zaire any more - DR of Congo?  Is that Zaire?) or somewhere where ebola surfaces.  Beyond that, even if you do win the disease lotto and get sick, you're probably going to be fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline jvrbax

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 08:27:02 AM »
Thank you for your replies molly, jumper, tinam, and sunlover.

You have calmed my fears somehow. I know how statistics needs to be look into with a 2nd glance and the news cant just make it looks so closer to home.

I'm from the Philippine by the way, sun. Yes! I get dengue scares too and dengue here is an everyday thing in hospitals. Never had it though, at least. I just know how you feel.

Good news though is that the person who came to our shores tested back negative for the virus. This somehow minimized my fears.

I can just imagine how those scary things on TV are -- from the avian flu and the Ebola virus!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: