I've had a lot of fears lately, about various diseases but this topped all of it.
I'm scared of mercury poisoning, and frankly no one in my family believes me, since I'm 17.
I was trying to change my light bulb yesterday with a new CFL one and while trying to take it out of the box, I pressed too hard and I heard a cracking sound, like something broke. I didn't see what broke and where, but whatever broke was still in the box. I immediately put it in a plastic bag and threw it outside of my home in a dumpster. And I washed my hands afterwards.
But I don't know which part of the bulb broke and I don't know how the whole mercury in the light bulb works but I'm extremely scared now. My mother doesn't believe in the mercury in CFL bulbs and forbade me from not staying in my room or cleaning it up (i don't know what to even clean up, there were no pieces that fell from it)
I tried searching on the internet but I don't know how this works. Is the mercury in the bulbs liquid like in the thermometers and could small drops fall down? I tried searching the area with a flash light and couldn't see anything.
I'm tired of making excuses where to go just so I won't stay in my room up to a point where I was so scared to go in there I sat in the park on the cold weather for 2 hours. I don't know what to do and if there is some mercury in my room that can harm me.