Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: anyone have any experience with wisdom teeth?  (Read 95 times)

Offline sally1959

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
anyone have any experience with wisdom teeth?
« on: April 16, 2014, 09:35:38 PM »
My wisdom tooth hurts quite bad when I  open my mouth or chew. It has been hurting like this for maybe two days. I took a nap this afternoon and woke up with quite a bad tension headache I believe it is related to the wisdom tooth. I don't have a fever nor swollen cheek, but I'm worried that it might be infected.

Now I'm very scared. I was planning to call an oral surgeon tomorrow but I'm afraid the infection might spread tonight and become very serious...does anyone have any experience with their wisdom teeth? Please share.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blueberry

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: anyone have any experience with wisdom teeth?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 10:09:48 PM »
I had two taken out a month ago. I was terrified of the ordeal - I was prepared to die either in surgery or due to complications - but everything went really well. I didn't feel a thing and I only got dry socket due to my own inability to follow rules completely. My jaw feels perfectly fine now.

It's probably just impacted. Getting it removed could help, though I am no help if you want to keep it in. They'll give you antibiotics afterwards. Even if you do have an infection it's probably not gonna do any harm right now. No fever, right?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snowy

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 10:15:54 PM »
Every now and then I get a little swollen, sore spot near my wisdom teeth.  It can last a couple days to over a week and it always goes away on its own.  But it does hurt to open my mouth or chew when the bump is there.  Since it always goes away, I ignore it.

Then again, I'm a "wait it out" kind of person who avoids medical places at all costs.  My dentist advised on my first trip to a cleaning to get them taken out but I didn't and he hasn't mentioned it since so.  I think he told me back then that unless it stopped me from living my normal life, I didn't HAVE to have them out.  I hope you feel better soon!
Bookmark and Share

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 01:48:51 AM »
My dad had a dental abscess once and was so sick he was incapacitated.  Thought he had the flu.  So if you do have a tooth infection, it's probably not a major one.  My dad had no complications once he got it treated.  Wisdom teeth also just cause pain without infection - best to have them out if you have no reason not to.  They're jerks :P  I had mine out - I only had two of them so obviously had to remove them - and they did it with a local.  I was a little lightheaded for a minute after because my head had been tilted back for so long, otherwise, I had no ill effects and felt totally normal by the next day, no pain even!  So it's not always that horrible to get rid of them. 
Bookmark and Share

Online paratale

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 02:12:53 AM »
Before I had mine out (all 4 were impacted and HUGE) they hurt off and on for weeks. They weren't infected and when I finally got them checked out the surgeon said it wasn't urgent to get them removed, though it should happen eventually.

I got them taken out a few weeks later. It took a long time to heal and (I won't lie) the sockets hurt a LOT, but that's probably because I refused to take the hardcore pain meds, plus I had 4 huge ones taken out of my tiny jaw at once. I had a pretty big bruise on my face from where the surgeon had to pry my mouth open! I didn't get dry socket or an infection though. When/if you get them out, just make sure you follow the instructions the surgeon gives you and you'll be fine.

I'm not a dentist but if the wisdom tooth is completely covered by your gum I don't see how it could become infected. But even if it is infected, it's probably not serious. I think usually with infections you get something like fever and/or swelling, not just pain. Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline jvrbax

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 06:51:07 AM »
Hi there,

Both of my wisdom teeth are impacted! I went to the dentist because a few months back, the left tooth was already hitting my cheek. The dentist wanted to have it removed. The biting went away after a few days and I decided to postpone my wisdom tooth extraction.

Like you, I had to be very careful when I ate and talked.

I'm thinking of having it removed this year nevertheless.

You're not alone!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: