Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Heart worries  (Read 312 times)

Offline morlnor

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Heart worries
« on: April 16, 2014, 11:37:34 AM »
I have high anxiety and take Welbutrin every day. I also have acid reflux which I take Dexilant daily. My issue is the chest pains. I am VERY inactive. Like I really don't do anything except sit around for the fear of causing myself to have a heart attack from being so inactive. That all started 2 years ago when I was put on bed rest trying to save my pregnancy. Ever since then I have been lazy. My husband and I eat out ALOT. So the fast food on top of the anxiety has me scared to death! But my BP is always perfect or a little low, my cholesterol is good, and so is my blood sugar. I want to get out and enjoy my life, but I am terrified to be strenuous at all. I get short of breath easily. I have pains in my chest, back, and down my left arm. I have been trying to get out and walk with my husband some. But the whole time I am worrying about if I will make it around the track. Could I have seriously damaged my heart in the last 2 years from the stress, anxiety, and inactivity? I am constantly tired. I hate feeling like this. I am wasting my life. I just turned 28 and am ready to start having children, but I'm am so afraid that I won't survive the pregnancy because I am so out of shape. I see the tv shows about the 400 lb people who never did anything, then one day decided to get out and improve themselves. I am nowhere near that size, but am I able to get out and just start working out without dropping dead from a heart attack? Does anyone else have these worries?
Bookmark and Share

Offline morlnor

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Heart worries
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 03:20:29 PM »
Can these things cause heart disease? Or am I just blowing this out of proportions?
Bookmark and Share

Offline JenBNimble

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 04:36:04 PM »
If your BP, cholesterol, and blood sugar are all normal, then your heart is probably fine. I'm a heart worrier too, and I also get freaked out about exercise. But the truth is that regular exercise is important for *keeping* your heart healthy. I would just take it slow. I think walking with your husband is a great idea. You can keep each other motivated, and you know he'll be there if you start feeling anxious. An added benefit is that exercise can help improve anxiety symptoms as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline morlnor

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 07:23:05 PM »
Thank you! I hate it, but I am glad I am not the only worrier! I am just so tired of worrying all the time! I wish I could just let it all go!
Bookmark and Share

Online patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 07:57:02 AM »
You're not alone!  Major heart worrier here - have lost (and kept off) over 40lbs over the last couple of years (only 10lbs to go before I'm where my doc wants me to be) but still scared to exercise because my heart starts beating like crazy and then my anxiety kicks in which makes things worse.

But as my doctor said to me - don't confuse being out of shape with having a heart attack!

So it is literally 1 step at a time - just keep doing it and doing it everyday.  It will get easier and you will find that within a couple of weeks it wont be so hard and if youve been exercising for a couple of weeks you should begin to realize that YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline morlnor

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 05:24:11 PM »
I would like to know....just how strong is your heart? I mean how much can it take?
Bookmark and Share

Offline rap_Talon

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
Oh I hear you so very much on this. I'm 26, and was told around a year ago that I have very high cholesterol, which is obviously a concern. I'm greatly overweight - I was going on for 350lbs, which is clearly insanely high(BMI something like 45 ><). I started dieting, and have lost over 40lbs so far, as well as getting my cholesterol down, but I was always very scared of exercising. I've never been completely idle - in college I used to have to regularly walk up five sets of stairs three times a day, and I've always tried to walk 30-60 minutes a day. Yet I was scared - increasing it, I was convinced, would result in a heart attack.

I spoke to my doctor, and he reminded me that our hearts are very strong, and that an undamaged one can easily handle to strain of daily living, and that of people a lot more active that me - think of what, for example, rugby players put theirs through. Some of them weigh as much, if not more than me, and they're pushing themselves to the limit day after day. That made me feel a lot better, and with his assurances I've upped my activity levels a little, small steps at a time. It's hard, and I often feel it really hard - weakness, chest pain, difficulty breathing, palpitations - but I know it's just my body struggling from the lack of exercise I've done over the last few months.

From your levels, it sounds like your heart is healthy, despite your activity levels. The symptoms you describe having with exercise can certainly be your body merely struggling with increased activity, or even simply anxiety and stress at what you're doing. Also note, that your age is a big factor. Having heart problems as young as we are is a pretty rare thing.

Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 06:23:44 PM »
At 28, your heart disease risk is very low anyway.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Tags: