Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Panic attack heart rate?  (Read 845 times)

Offline Barbara999

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Panic attack heart rate?
« on: April 15, 2014, 06:11:44 PM »
I have suffered from anxiety on and off for over 10 years. Lately it's very bad! I'm having daily panic attacks and adrenalin surges. My heart rate goes up to 170 and I start shaking. Is thus a normal heart rate for panic attacks?
 ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Panic attack heart rate?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 04:03:00 AM »
Its not normal, but its not dangerous. Also keep in mind that due to the nature of a panic attack, your judgement is temporarily nonexistent. There's a good chance you're overestimating. Because its hard to find something you dont overestimate during a panic attack.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxiousgrl

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 09:08:28 AM »
I'm not sure if mine gets that high because I've never checked, but I know my heart rate goes through the roof and body body starts shacking uncontrolloably. You're not the only one!
Bookmark and Share

Offline tarvyo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 07:22:44 AM »
Same thing happens with me and the shaking too. I usually get an ice pack out of the freezer and chuck it on the back of my neck to shock my heart out of it, the shaking and other symptoms continue but my heart rate jumps right back down which is always pretty relieving, even though I'm still actually having the panic attack, the slowing of the heart rate does calm me down, there's a few things you can try, it's just finding what's right for you :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Aaron Davis

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 01:30:28 PM »
Yes, that is perfectly normal (for panic). Happens to me all the time. We have these natural, inherant biological processes. When we are afraid (panic attacks) our bodies  go through different motions. This was initially (for our long ago ancestors) to deal with danger from around them. But guess what....humans no longer need those cues because we are no longer threatened by predators and need to "fight" or "flight"(run away). At least for most of us, most of the time, ha! But really, it's just a biological process that is, like what was said earlier "harmless." Keep in mind several things - when we say heart "muscle" we are talking about a type of muscle entirel different than the skeletal muscles of, say, your arms or legs. The "cardiac" muscle is extremely dense and powerful, capable of maintaining a rate well over 200 for days and days without beginning to suffer any damage. Rest assured, this anxiety is a problem because it makes you feel a certain way...but that is all. Try not to focus on bodily sensations.
Bookmark and Share

Offline arwashington

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 08:58:56 AM »
Aaron is right. Getting your heart rate up to 170 isn't going to hurt you in the slightest. You just did a cardio work out, good for you. Keeps your heart strong when we get it pumping. It could keep this rhythm for days and days with no ill effect, its nice to give it a break though. Point is don't worry about the rate ( easier said than done I know) and it will come way down faster. Cheers.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Breathless

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 10:23:00 PM »
Although benzos are most commonly prescribed for panic, I actually have beta blockers on hand. If you do panic it will be all in your head with no marked increase in heart rate or shaking.
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 11:51:05 AM »
Yeah I've had my heart rate in the 160's during an episode.  As long as your h/r goes down afterwards then I wouldn't worry.  See you primary doctor I take Toporol which is a beta-blocker good for keeping my hear/bp from spiking during an attack. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Breathless

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 03:47:54 PM »
FYI I've probably hit the 160 bpm range during the worst attacks.
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Tags: