Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Weight Loss due to Anxiety  (Read 298 times)

Offline Butterflies121314

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Weight Loss due to Anxiety
« on: April 15, 2014, 04:48:04 PM »
Hi all,

Has anyone else lost a lot of weight due to anxiety and depression? When my anxiety started again I went from eating one meal a day to barely eating anything. Sometimes not eating for a day or two. Now when people see me and they say I've lost weight or I look slim it freaks me out because I get worried that I have some sort of illness specifically the c word and I'm.wasting away. I would say since February I've lost about 20-25 lbs. Has anyone else gone through this? How do you talk yourself down from worrying? Also I started Celexa about a week ago and that completely zapped my my appetite along with those horrible stomach cramps that I get from taking it.
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Weight Loss due to Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 05:20:47 PM »
I went from 137 to 111 in 30 days! (August-September 2002)
Bookmark and Share

Offline themegahypo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 05:28:02 PM »
I actually ust dealt with this. I stopped eating, but didn't stop working out. Lost 11 pounds in 2 weeks. But the past week I've gone back up 4 pounds because I've been eating like a horse. OR whatever animal eats a lot. IDK what to tell you other than hopefully you start eating again soon and that helps you
Bookmark and Share

Offline AOKAY

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 06:59:04 PM »
In my case stress and anxiety always result in weight loss. 
I am thin to begin with.  As a patient with Crohns Disease since age 11 I have always been conscious of people telling me I look like I'm ill or that I've lost weight, so appearance always preys on my mind.
Recently I've gone through a bad health patch with blood in my urine and all the fears that go with that.  Convinced I was wasting away, I lost about 5 pounds.  Once it was confirmed the blood was "just" kidney stones (one requiring surgery) my weight has started to rebound.  Amazing what the mind can do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline snowberry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 07:04:11 PM »
Yep, I lost about 7 pounds in 3 weeks when I was at my worst last year. Freaked me out (especially as I am quite thin so I didn't want to lose any weight), but on the bright side it meant that I didn't feel guilty about ordering a big pizza. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline fhestia

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 07:24:09 PM »
I lost 30 pounds in 2012 when I found out I needed surgery and fell into a deep depression.  Am now facing another potential health crisis and losing weight again.  When I am anxious, my appetite is the first to go.  :sick0002:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 08:36:00 PM »
I actually gain weight. Since my CC fear started last January I have put on a out 7 pounds. Stress makes me gain. I stop being as active as I am when I'm not overly stressed and obsessed. When I'm obsessing about my fear I can't do anything else other than google and think about my potenal illness and what the future with it holds. I stop watching what I eat and eat junk because hey what's it matter. It's very sad. I want to be fit an active but my anxiety holds me back. In never mentally tuned in when I am having an HA epiosde. I'm only completely focused on my symptom(s) and what illness fits it best.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hiswaywardgirl

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 09:11:33 PM »
I've lost weight from anxiety... 5 pounds in a few days, when my ex broke up with me out of nowhere... but I usually gain weight from overeating.

Losing that much weight unintentionally in a short time isn't good... even if you don't feel hungry, can you try including more calorie-dense foods in your diet, like nut butters, cheese, etc?

Antidepressants can also do a number on your system, and they're not exactly great for your body, anyway. Starting new meds (and going off them) is usually when the worst symptoms happen... but you might want to reconsider taking it if it makes the weight issue worse.

Talking yourself down from anxiety is really, really hard... hence why we're all here! Just keep your head up and practice being objective and rational. There are lots of resources on how to handle anxiety... here's a neat video about being calm instead of worrying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYJdekjiAog
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2jrts

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 06:29:11 AM »
This happened to me two years ago when I was going through major anxiety over my liver. I could barely eat a meal a day. I ended up drinking Ensure just to get calories in.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sparx

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 08:30:33 AM »
Yep, me too.  For me,  I think the decreased food intake makes my anxiety worse.  My brain isn't getting fed - you see? 
So, if I am having trouble eating, I try to make the calories count:  enriched cereals, ensure, Instant Breakfast drinks, etc. 
Think of it as throwing yourself a life preserver.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shaula

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • It's a new day.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 12:22:11 PM »
Hello,

This happened to me last year. Over the span of a few months I went from weighing 170 pounds to 130 pounds. I was not even trying, just thinking about food made me ill...and I just could not eat because of my horrible anxiety. I started dealing with it as best as I could, and now....well, now I am doing okay. I gained the weight back and am working to lose it the right way. Exercise and eating healthy have really helped me, but I still have some days when I don't eat and mehhh....hope this helped  :yes:
Bookmark and Share
Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, it's not the end.

Hold on if you feel like letting go.

Tags: GAD panic