Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Taking antidepressants at night - Drinking alcohol  (Read 162 times)

Offline Whistle

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Taking antidepressants at night - Drinking alcohol
« on: April 15, 2014, 02:30:18 PM »
I've tried searching for a thread but couldn't seem to find one with this specific question.

Anyway, I've been on 30mg Cymbalta for a few weeks now, I just started taking it at 8pm every night because it makes me drowsy. I'm a 22 year old male and plan on going out on the weekends, so my question is, how does taking antidepressants in the evening affect alcohol consumption once or twice a week? I've had no problems taking antidepressants in the morning and drinking in the evening; I'm wondering if I'm looking at a potentially extra-dangerous situation by taking the Cymbalta at the same time as the alcohol. I'm sure alcohol will be more intoxicating, but I have no problem with pacing myself as needed, I'm just curious if the combo could lead to a serious problem, not intoxication. Thanks in advanced!
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 85
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Taking antidepressants at night - Drinking alcohol
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 06:15:32 PM »
I've had no problems taking antidepressants in the morning and drinking in the evening; I'm wondering if I'm looking at a potentially extra-dangerous situation by taking the Cymbalta at the same time as the alcohol.

It doesn't matter much when you take antidepressants as as a few days the amount of the drug in your bloodstream reaches a steady-state which doesn't vary much.

The main problem with antidepressants and alcohol is that the effects of alcohol can become unpredictable for some. One day they could drink a herd of alcoholic elephants under the table, the next a small drink will turn their legs to rubber. So tread carefully until you work out how you're affected.

For most the occasional drink does no harm, and may even be beneficial, however, when drinking becomes a daily habit then problems can arise as anxiety disorders and alcohol are not a good combination, see: The alcohol/anxiety tag team

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.