Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Health fears came true  (Read 563 times)

Offline Melissa509

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Health fears came true
« on: April 15, 2014, 03:08:24 AM »
Has anyone here had their health fears come true?
Bookmark and Share

Offline AdaJ

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Health fears came true
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 03:42:37 AM »
Hi well I've been suffering from health anxiety quite badly since December (and on and off my whole life. I tend to have one bad bout of it every year). Since December I was obsessing about MS and also ovarian cancer. In feb I was having a routine scan for something very minor when they found a tumour on one of my kidneys! I'm told it's almost certainly cancer and I had the kidney out 2 weeks ago.

SO although I wasn't actually worried about kidney cancer specifically (it's very rare for a woman my age to get it) I did worry about cancer. Obviously this diagnosis has been a massive shock and hard to deal with. I'm told it was caught early though. I've been amazingly lucky that it was picked up by chance so early in. It's very likely I'll be cured permanently.

I just wanted to write about what it's like for a HA sufferer when you are faced with a serious illness. Obviously this is something I've been dreading my entire life and at times my HA has made my life a misery. Strangely enough the reality of having cancer isn't as I imagined as I've been pretty calm since diagnosis. I realise this is because I've been given such a prognosis and I would NOT be so calm if it had spread and I was given bad news. But after months of imagining all sorts of things i actually had a sense if relief that now we know what we're dealing with, we know how to treat it so let's stay calm and positive and just get on with it.

I never felt "why me? Life's so unfair" like the doctor thought I would because I've been expecting something like this to happen for years!! I just find it interesting that the thought of serious illness freaked me out more than the reality (although like I say this is ONLY because I have such a good prognosis. I would not be brave if given a death sentence).

So for everyone who's living in so much fear I want to say that if your worst nightmares came true (which they won't for the vast majority of you) you would cope and just get on with things. The worst thing is not knowing for sure, the uncertainty. Once you get bad news you deal with it. Human brings are very adaptable.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 03:52:44 AM »
Mine haven't, and most of the people that I've "kept up with" on this website haven't either. You might find a few sporadic incidents, but what does it matter? It doesn't make yours or anyone else's fears more likely to actually be real. 
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline AP151

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 06:47:22 AM »
This thread is asking for it... What happens if someone says "Yeah mine did."? You're gonna go, "but if his did mine can too, oh no!". Best not to ask, some peoples fears are bound to become reality while most others fear just never will. The fact that you fear it makes you no more less likely to get inflicted by anything. If ANYTHING, stress could weaken your immune system and make you more susceptible perhaps, but that's it.

Be happy you're healthy. Nothin' like being happy and healthy, I've learned this since my HA went crazy. It certainly makes us appreciate the times when we can just worry about real life and not misguided fears!
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 07:22:49 AM »
Yes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 29
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 07:26:37 AM »
Hi well I've been suffering from health anxiety quite badly since December (and on and off my whole life. I tend to have one bad bout of it every year). Since December I was obsessing about MS and also ovarian cancer. In feb I was having a routine scan for something very minor when they found a tumour on one of my kidneys! I'm told it's almost certainly cancer and I had the kidney out 2 weeks ago.

SO although I wasn't actually worried about kidney cancer specifically (it's very rare for a woman my age to get it) I did worry about cancer. Obviously this diagnosis has been a massive shock and hard to deal with. I'm told it was caught early though. I've been amazingly lucky that it was picked up by chance so early in. It's very likely I'll be cured permanently.

I just wanted to write about what it's like for a HA sufferer when you are faced with a serious illness. Obviously this is something I've been dreading my entire life and at times my HA has made my life a misery. Strangely enough the reality of having cancer isn't as I imagined as I've been pretty calm since diagnosis. I realise this is because I've been given such a prognosis and I would NOT be so calm if it had spread and I was given bad news. But after months of imagining all sorts of things i actually had a sense if relief that now we know what we're dealing with, we know how to treat it so let's stay calm and positive and just get on with it.

I never felt "why me? Life's so unfair" like the doctor thought I would because I've been expecting something like this to happen for years!! I just find it interesting that the thought of serious illness freaked me out more than the reality (although like I say this is ONLY because I have such a good prognosis. I would not be brave if given a death sentence).

So for everyone who's living in so much fear I want to say that if your worst nightmares came true (which they won't for the vast majority of you) you would cope and just get on with things. The worst thing is not knowing for sure, the uncertainty. Once you get bad news you deal with it. Human brings are very adaptable.

What a great post.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 09:19:56 AM »
My old boss had kidney cancer also and his was picked up during a routine scan and
he had his kidney removed. He was fine for many years afterwards and eventually passed
away from something else at age 85 or so.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline Mvalachovic

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 10:26:46 AM »
I agree. Just because we worry about health issues doesn't mean we will get what we fear. But vice versa, just because we worry about health issues doesn't mean we are immune to developing something at some point. I also want to point out that although the poster diagnosed with kidney cancer( sorry for your diagnosis but glad your prognosis is good) did get a diagnosis of "c" it wasn't what she feared. I think we tend to misdiagnose ourselves. Many of us have real symptoms of something far less severe than what we misdiagnose ourselves with.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AdaJ

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 12:34:05 PM »
Thanks for sharing that Marc. That's the kind story I LOVE to hear :-))
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 07:33:13 PM »
I have cancer and actually it is not as bad as what I thought either
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 12
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 07:51:45 PM »
I think it's like anything we fear, it's never as bad as our minds make it out to be. 

I don't know if infertility classifies but I used to be terrified of it.  When it happened, I dealt with it.  I can actually now say I was thankful for it.  It's made me realize how truly precious life is and to cherish my daughter.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: