Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Extreme tension in left side of body only?  (Read 403 times)

Offline Rasalhauge

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
Extreme tension in left side of body only?
« on: April 14, 2014, 08:18:05 PM »
For years Iīve "stored"/generated tension in both tendons and muscles in my left side. This weird phenomena have given me an "akward" gait, mainly due to a stiff arm and a tense calf.

My worst fear is that this should be caused by Young onset Parkinsonīs or something along those lines (the tension fits, as do the lack of armswing). But, given the fact that Iīve suffered from severe GAD/OCD and whatnot Iīm somewhat open to the possibility that this (the anxiety, that is) could be causing it all. Or at least I hope so, even though Iīm fully convinced that itīs not.

So, I thought Iīd check with you all (since many seem to have quite a few physical symptoms) if you too have some experience with severe muscle tension that presents itself unilateraly?

If so, any tips on how to relieve this tension?
Bookmark and Share
“There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.”

- Dante Alighieri

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Extreme tension in left side of body only?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 07:18:05 AM »
Hi,

I guess my first question would be if you've had a checkup with a doc to rule out a physical cause . . .

If there is no physical cause, then my best guess, and I am not a med professional, is to say that your body has adapted to this behaviour and it has now become entrenched in you so it has become "natural". If it is a case of a learned behaviour, then you will be able to unlearn it. It will be a process and probably frustrating (I've been through my own) because as much as you hate the behaviour, it is a "comfort zone" in the sense that you are used to it but you can unlearn it . . . .

Often for those of us with anxiety, there will be unique manifestations of physical symptoms depending on our individual experiences and mindsets and what we perceive as the triggers which are usually entrenched in some root causes . . .for that reason, it there is not a physical cause, then ask for a referral to a counselor (not necessarily a psychiatrist) who specializes in working with folks with anxiety related physical symptoms. . . you may have to try a couple to get the right match . . .the counselor will help you manage the triggers causing the physical manifestations and in turn help you identify the root causes . . .

In the meantime perhaps start some gentle stretches, some walking . . . nothing extreme start small . . . and my favourite for muscles is soaking in hot water with Epsom salts . . .I don't think you will find a quick fix, but every little step forward is an accomplishment . . .

So, consider the above but, as always, let us know how you are doing and we will do our best to support you . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 07:30:12 AM »
Unilateral "storing of tension" sounds much like hyperawareness following reading about young onset Parkinsons.  HA'rs read symptoms...then they become symptoms.  Not sure this is the case with you but something to think about.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 10:58:41 AM »
most of my muscle tension is unilateral. I agree that #1) see your medical provider for evaluation and #2) get set up with a good massage therapist or acupuncturist. Either one can use their methods to do a good job of relieving the muscle tension after a few visits.  Sometimes a few physical therapy visits can be helpful to correct any muscle imbalances and help you learn exercises to prevent it from happening again. And of course, getting the anxiety under control
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rasalhauge

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 08:05:40 PM »
Hi,

I guess my first question would be if you've had a checkup with a doc to rule out a physical cause . . .

If there is no physical cause, then my best guess, and I am not a med professional, is to say that your body has adapted to this behaviour and it has now become entrenched in you so it has become "natural". If it is a case of a learned behaviour, then you will be able to unlearn it. It will be a process and probably frustrating (I've been through my own) because as much as you hate the behaviour, it is a "comfort zone" in the sense that you are used to it but you can unlearn it . . . .

Often for those of us with anxiety, there will be unique manifestations of physical symptoms depending on our individual experiences and mindsets and what we perceive as the triggers which are usually entrenched in some root causes . . .for that reason, it there is not a physical cause, then ask for a referral to a counselor (not necessarily a psychiatrist) who specializes in working with folks with anxiety related physical symptoms. . . you may have to try a couple to get the right match . . .the counselor will help you manage the triggers causing the physical manifestations and in turn help you identify the root causes . . .

In the meantime perhaps start some gentle stretches, some walking . . . nothing extreme start small . . . and my favourite for muscles is soaking in hot water with Epsom salts . . .I don't think you will find a quick fix, but every little step forward is an accomplishment . . .

So, consider the above but, as always, let us know how you are doing and we will do our best to support you . . .take care, kc

Iīve had quite a few checkups actually, the latest one was a neurological exam that my psychiatrist did (w/o finding anything divergent). I also talked to a senior neurologist at a University hospital here as late as today, and she said that she had reviewed my journals (all the way back to my first symptoms in 2004), and she couldnīt find any indications that I had anything else than a quite severe case of somatoform/conversion disorder.

I think that you make a valid point, it could quite possibly be my hemisensory/hemimotoric disorder that makes me more susceptible to tension in that region of my body. I think, just as you say, that this has been going on for so long time that it has been normalized.

I managed to get hold of a pshychiatrist today that in turn will be refering me to a physiotherapist, that hopefully can help me sort out all these imbalances.

But, as you say, it will most likely take quite some time for this to be corrected. So, I guess I have to start small in order for this to actually work in the long run.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my posts, itīs much appreciated=)
Bookmark and Share
“There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy.”

- Dante Alighieri

Offline Rasalhauge

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 08:10:47 PM »
Unilateral "storing of tension" sounds much like hyperawareness following reading about young onset Parkinsons.  HA'rs read symptoms...then they become symptoms.  Not sure this is the case with you but something to think about.

Thatīs me, spot on!=) I was actually just recently diagnosed with sensimotori-OCD/Hyperawarness, started with me obsessing about my blink rate (which I was convinced indicated YOPD) and then escalated quickly. Due to my OCD and anxiety issues Iīve accumulated some severe stress in quite a short time now. It seems to just build up more and more tension in my whole body, like a constant surge of adrenaline, without ever residing. Thanks to the OCD I find myself with new symptoms every day, and each symptom adds some more stress/anxiety/adrenaline. I honestly doesnīt know what to do, it feels as if my body (mostly left side though) vibrates with negative energy that just keeps building up...
Bookmark and Share

- Dante Alighieri

Offline Rasalhauge

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 08:15:04 PM »
most of my muscle tension is unilateral. I agree that #1) see your medical provider for evaluation and #2) get set up with a good massage therapist or acupuncturist. Either one can use their methods to do a good job of relieving the muscle tension after a few visits.  Sometimes a few physical therapy visits can be helpful to correct any muscle imbalances and help you learn exercises to prevent it from happening again. And of course, getting the anxiety under control

It might be the wrong thing to say given the topic, but Iīm actually glad that there are more people than just me that experiences these unilateral problems. It makes me feel a little less crazy, and also takes away some of my PD-scare=)

I will take your advice and look into the massage thing, Iīve heard that deep tissue massage is supposed to be super efficient when it comes to more severe forms of muscle tension. Hopefully my new contacts with a physiotherapist will sort out the imbalances (although I guess that will take some serious amount of time=).
Bookmark and Share

- Dante Alighieri

Offline AshleyNova

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 07:25:23 PM »
mines been on the right mostly and its really scary when its only on one side. ive never had a MRI CT scan or talked to a neuro just my GP... he thinks its all anxiety because its comes and goes and has gotten "better" in a way. idk....... :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rasalhauge

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 08:21:44 PM »
mines been on the right mostly and its really scary when its only on one side. ive never had a MRI CT scan or talked to a neuro just my GP... he thinks its all anxiety because its comes and goes and has gotten "better" in a way. idk....... :(

I have been through most examinations under the sun (MRI x3, and even a lumbar puncture = not recomended) and still this tension remains. I donīt know about you, but mine seems to act up extra when Iīm under more stress than usual, or when I donīt take care of my body. Mine has been rather constant, even so constant that it begins to have a negative effect on my gait etc. I tend to walk in an almost spastic manner due to stiff/tight calves and I can even begin to see a tendency to claw toes (probably due to tight calves). All in all, anxiety (if that is what is causing this) can realy mess up the body.

I had more or less accepted a YOPD-diagnosis up until this point, but I think I might give physiotherapy a go after all. Perhaps it helps, either way I donīt see what I have to lose by going there=)
Bookmark and Share

- Dante Alighieri

Tags: