Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: help..  (Read 125 times)

Offline aroseb2013

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
help..
« on: April 13, 2014, 02:43:45 PM »
let me introduce myself. My name is Ashley and I'm 25 years old and I have a six month old baby. A lot has happened in the past 6 months. Not only having a baby, but we also bought a house and I recently found out that my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer.

about 2 months ago I went to the hospital because I thought I was having heart attack. At the hospital they told me that it was anxiety. I was very confused and as I didn't feel I was too anxious about anything.

They prescribed me Ativan 1mg..which i feel is alot. So I didnt take it.

I have had nights where I just lay there afraid to fall asleep because I'm afraid that I'm not going to wake up. Everytime I get a little bit of a kind of sick, my instant fear is death.

Right now I'm going through something where my whole body feels out of wack. My ears are plugged, my jaw is popping,  amd my face tingles/itches. My collar bone hurts,  and my neck feels tight. My arms feel like I carried bags of sand for 24 hours. And of course. ..instead of spending this precious time with my daughter...I'm  on Google trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with me. These cant all be signs of anxiety,...can they?

Guess Im just looking for advice. Because I  feel like Im going bonkers
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: help..
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 05:00:52 PM »
Hi Ashley,

Welcome to the forum . . . you have had a series of major events in a compressed amount of time . . . sometimes we do not feel anxious but our mind is and it communicates this with the body and a whole myriad of symptoms . . . .

I will suggest a couple of things for you to consider . . . .just to think about . . . first, we sometimes hear of post partum depression but there is also post partum anxiety . . . caring for a new baby while caring for yourself may make a new Mom anxious . . . then, buying a house, although it is a joyful event as is having a child, is also a potential area for being anxious . . . and, of course, the impact of hearing of a loved one, especially one's Mom with cancer . . . well, it all adds up . . . the fact that you are not sleeping, well, that only makes anxiety that much more intense and I think you are developing some health anxiety . . .probably because of your concern over your Mom and perhaps you are wondering what would happen to your baby should anything happen to you . . . all very natural thoughts but when they start to overwhelm and convert into anxiety, then it does become a problem . . .

Many years ago, I took Ativan because of a thyroid issue . . . I think I took it a total of 3 or 4 times . . . I found 1 mg too much for me also so I cut it down to .5 and it was sufficient . . .that is an option you might consider . . .

That you are having aches and pains is not usual for most people with anxiety . . . anxiety tenses and fatigues the muscles, causes nerves to misbehave, etc. Now, I would definitely recommend that you stay away from Google --- it can create more anxiety and issues than it relieves . . . . so, my advice . . .

1.  see a doc for a medical and explain what is happening and get checked over;
2.  ask for a referral to a counselor (not necessarily a psychiatrist) who specializes in anxiety and who can help guide you to identify and manage your triggers;
3.  do it sooner than later because the sooner you deal with the anxiety, the better it will be for you mind, body, and spirit;
4.  if you take the Ativan, consider .5 and see if that helps;
5.  know that your symptoms can very well be anxiety and that is why professional help is indicated;
6.  you are not going bonkers . . . you are under stress whether you realize it or not . . . your mind is speaking through your body and you need to get a support system in place until you get your management strategies going
7.  and remember, this type recovery is a process and there really isn't a quick fix but you can do it . . . .right now, it's an issue of developing coping tools

I'm not a med professional so I cannot give advice of that type . . . but I can strongly suggest that the best steps you can take is to start the recovery process and, please, by all means come back to this forum . . .we are very welcoming here and if there is anything we can do, rest assured that we will do our best to be your support . . . let us know how you are doing and know that you are far from bonkers . . . take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline aroseb2013

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 09:20:45 PM »
Thank you so much for your reply.  I'm definitely calling my doctor Monday.  I can't continue feeling the way I do. I feel as though I'm losing time with my daughter, and thats time that cant be replaced. I thrive to be a good mother, and girlfriend, but sometimes I feel that my problems are holding me back.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ARose318

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 06:44:39 AM »
Hi, Ashley.

I'm sorry you're having a difficult time. I, too, have a daughter - she's 1. My story is the opposite. For the first 6-9 months after I had her I did not have a single anxiety attack, and I think it was because I was nursing. Once I stopped nursing my anxiety came back. Every few months I get a really bad episode to the point where I want to go to the ER because I can't handle it. The episodes usually last about a week or so. Right now I'm coming down from a nasty episode I had last week. It's tough to put on a fake smile and take care of your kid(s)/family, but I have too as my fiancee doesn't understand anxiety and thinks it's "not a big deal."

I would def recommend talking to your OB and/or your Primary Dr about post partum. There is such thing as post partum anxiety - which is what I have. I am on meds and slowly increasing the dose. My episodes went from practically every day, to every few months and hopefully once I stabilize on the meds, they will be much more infrequent if not gone completely.

It wouldn't hurt to have a full physical, if you haven't already done so, just to make sure everything is ok inside. This way you'll know for sure that there is nothing physically wrong with you, may help peace of mind too.

And stay off Google, it's the worst place to be when you're in the midst of an attack. You've already acknowledged that you should be spending time with your daughter, so you know what to do.

Best of luck.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: