Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Where has my GAD gone? Feeling much more like myself.  (Read 729 times)

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Where has my GAD gone? Feeling much more like myself.
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 11:45:01 PM »
SSG, you bring up a good question about counseling.  But first to answer the question on dosage.  I first started on a low dose of 7.5 mgs of Buspar.  After two weeks, not feeling much change, my doc upped my dosage to 15 mg (7.5 in morning and 7.5 in evening) which I stayed at for a week.  Then the dosage was upped to 30 mg (15 in am and 15 in pm).  I knew from my own research that the max dose was 60 mg and those that respond to Buspar often respond at 30 or so.  To be honest I have never felt a dramatic kick in (as I did went I started prozac years ago), but it was more of a steady but sure feeling.  A sense that anxiety as an urgent issue was decreasing.

As for therapy, I went to a clinic in Chicago that specialized in anxiety and depression.  I worked with a student therapist at a reduced rate.  Honestly, at first I was impatient.  The therapist was using CBT, cognitive behavioral therapy.  But I was already very familiar with these concepts.  So I challenged her to please try to find approaches that were newer to me.  She introduced me to ACT therapy (Acceptance and Commitment therapy) which I loved.  She taught me how to do mindful meditation, and breathing exercises.  She helped me see that anxiety is not always a bad thing.  (For instance, when I did public speaking for my novel, I knew that I'm feel nervous and excited.  I accepted that.  But I also knew that I would give a great presentation.)  When I first came to see her for therapy, I told her I wanted a life without any anxiety.  She helped me see that a life without any anxiety is not a life.  That anxiety is a part of life, as is joy and love and struggle.  After four weekly therapy sessions, I ended them on a good note.  I still use things I learned from that therapy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Benadryl

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 10:33:02 AM »
Thanks for the post. I know how great it can be to finally feel like yourself again. And how awful it can feel to feel like you're walking around in someone else's skin. I agree so much that endorphins help immensely. If I could prescribe one thing to everyone on this forum it would be exercise. Your body needs it. Thanks for sharing and good luck to you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline SSG

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 07:51:05 PM »
Thanks, Worldbeat99.  I will have to check in to that therapy!  I have just gone up to 45 mg of Buspar this week. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 12:31:26 AM »
Benadryl, you are so right.  Physical exercise is a simple, powerful challenge to anxiety.

I want to continue to include exercise in the morning for 15-20 minutes.  Love the endorphins.
Just because I feel better, I can't totally abandon the many things that have gotten me here!
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything