Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: anyone else smoke with HA and cancer fears?  (Read 271 times)

Offline naynaydevil2

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
anyone else smoke with HA and cancer fears?
« on: April 11, 2014, 07:09:17 PM »
So I've smoked for about 15 years. (I'm 33). My ha started about 3 years ago. Out of those 3 years I quit for a year because I was pregnant....then stupidly picked up again. I don't smoke near or in front of my kids. So I have fears of all sorts of diseases. Cancer included. Why would I continue to smoke knowing how I am with my health?! It makes no sense. I have however cut down from a pack and a half per day to 9-10 cigarettes per day.

is anyone else like this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline aec711

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Re: anyone else smoke with HA and cancer fears?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 10:02:36 PM »
Uggg!!!  You sound just like me.  I will be 33 in July and have smoked for 15 years - except when I was pregnant 2 times - and then for a year after the 2nd child and then my husband and I just started again last May.  Smoking makes me angry, but seems to help with my stress.  I don't smoke near or in front of my kids either.  It is the worst habit and horrible for me because I try to be healthy in other ways and yet I can kick this stupid habit. I tell me husband I want to quit everyday and then we don't lol.  I am so over smoking - except not really lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 10:05:49 PM »
Yes! Exactly....i try to eat healthier, take walks be active etc.....and then I smoke while worrying about my health! It makes no sense lol
Bookmark and Share

Offline aec711

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 10:13:57 PM »
It doesn't make any sense to me either lol - It just shows how much control it has over us.  Being as scared as we are about everything, yet we cant quit the one thing we KNOW does bad things to us.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline croberts6

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 03:06:42 PM »
Yes I smoke except I'm only nineteen, and have been smoking for almost two years and already I am paranoid about cancer. I always try and cut back my intake.

I can't imagine how you guys feel after 15 years of smoking, by that time my hair will be grey from stress.

I wouldn't worry too much though, it's still pretty rare to get cancer from smoking at that young of an age. I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere there you're more likely to get struck by lightening than get lung cancer from smoking before the age of like 40. You guys probably should cut back and it's good that you've already started.

I try and cut back too, but whenever I go to a party or meet new people I smoke like a chimney!

Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 06:10:45 PM »
Actually is DOES make sense, cigarettes are HIGHLY addictive.  The physical addiction is much, much stronger than your health anxiety.  My father in law had lung cancer and STILL smoked.  My husband tried 3 times to quit (once he lasted a year, once he tried some kind of pills that he had to stop taking because they were giving him hallucinations!)but he finally did it for good in 2009.  He said that when he was younger he was hooked on various street drugs and smoking was by far the hardest to overcome.  So don't beat yourself up, just keep trying, you'll do it. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 06:37:57 PM »
Thanks sunlover. Jeesh sorry to hear about your dad. How long after diagnoses did he live? Cigarettes are very addictive and are also a stress reliever. I went from one and a half packs a day to a half a pack a day so I guess I'm making some progress.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 07:01:52 PM »
Thanks sunlover. Jeesh sorry to hear about your dad. How long after diagnoses did he live? Cigarettes are very addictive and are also a stress reliever. I went from one and a half packs a day to a half a pack a day so I guess I'm making some progress.

It was my father in law, not my dad.  But thank you.  He lived about a year I guess.  He really never seemed sick!  It was even hard for me to believe he WAS sick!  I think it's great that you cut down.  I never did smoke but I always said I think cutting back slowly would be the way to go, seems easier that way rather than cold turkey!  MY dad had done it that way, quit slowly - by the time I was about 10 he was down to about 3 cigarettes a day, and then I don't even recall when he quit totally because it was so gradual.  (My husband was at about 2 and a half packs a day!)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jonesle

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 07:54:52 AM »
I'm 24 smoked since I was 15 - cos it's cool  B-;
Not cool at all. I have majorly cut back but smoke when I'm stressed and anxious which is all of the time ATM with all these health worries, how non sensical to smoke when worried about health?!
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 09:33:40 AM »
yea... it's real cool...not. On one hand it takes away my anxiety by acting as a stress reliever, but on the other hand it can make anxiety worse because nicotine is a stimulant. On top of being worried about our health!!!

It just shows how much of an addiction it really is!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: