Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Need Identification  (Read 132 times)

Offline LuRockz

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Need Identification
« on: April 11, 2014, 02:21:03 PM »
I'm sorry if this is lengthy.

Pretty much all of my life (I'm almost 18 years old now) I grew up traveling places by car (like everyone else) and I was perfectly tolerant of the car being cramped with people, windows open, music blasting, in the events that these things took place. I was aware from the age of 8 and up that I had a fear of travel by plane (this being caused by fear of heights).

Not very long ago (1 and a 1/2 years~) I was put on a plane trip to go see family a few states distance, even going near the airport made my anxiety grow.
I got onto the plane and all of the anxiety I had originally felt had died very quickly, I took my seat and started listening to peaceful acoustic tracks.
This being my first plane ride I didn't know what to expect.

My anxiety nearly exploded to the max when the plane actually started to takeoff, I gripped the chair to the point where my hand started to hurt. When the plane reached its elevation and stayed I loosened my grip and felt a small bit more calm. I'm not one to sweat often but on this trip it was almost like I was running marathons. My feet and hands were tingling to an extent and then I realized no matter how much I struggled, we were at 33,000 feet in the sky and my fear of heights didn't matter during that entire four flights. I began to realize there's no way that this plane will make any sort of landing because my phobia was causing me agony. After these 1 1/2 years of reflecting, I am concluding that this fear is based on the feeling of being trapped and losing total control.

I ended up going on two flights before reaching my destination state, staying there for maybe four weeks then returning to my home state. The last flight I felt the most anxiety and would have rather car trip the remaining distance. Through the last flight I played my music loudly and covered my entire head with my jacket, blinding myself from seeing anything but utter darkness (thinking out of sight, out of mind). Not being able to see or hear the plane cooled my anxiety for about half the plane trip, then as the plane shook a little I couldn't help but avoid noticing that i was on a plane due to the vibrations of the plane's movement.

In order to deal with the anxiety popped up from the plane's motion, I had mentally convinced myself that the motion from the plane was just like a bus and that it was just a bus.

I got home extremely relieved. A week of being inside and relaxing had passed and I was to return to school, I got on the bus and sat down.
When the bus started to accelerate my hands started to sweat, I wasn't all too sure why but during the two weeks ahead of that first day back I started to figure it out.

I feel the less extreme versions of anxiety that I would get on a plane ON A BUS (and later, in a car too.)

I've been spending this last year dealing with the nervousness and anxiety of being in a car/bus by playing music loudly or watching videos loudly with noise cancelling headphones and I feel that I would probably panic without my iPod and headphones.

What is this phobia called? Vehicle Motion Anxiety? Can I even treat it further?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 168
    • Poke This Member
Re: Need Identification
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 05:33:28 AM »
Kinetoptophobia is the name you are looking for. It is the fear of motion / movement in cars, planes. buses and the likes. The only real way to get over such a fear is to expose yourself to the fear. You don't do this in one big long trip. You baby step your way along. Five or ten minutes at a time on a bus. Building it up slowly over a period of weeks. It won't be easy to begin with. You will most probably want off the bus. That is normal. But one step at a time. You will get there come the end of the day. Just have to believe in yourself.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags: