Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I'm 16 and think I have ALS  (Read 224 times)

Offline GreenPurple

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I'm 16 and think I have ALS
« on: April 10, 2014, 12:57:01 PM »
I never thought about ALS up until about 2 weeks ago and since then I have started to feel the symptoms. I am constantly fatigued and had a twitch under my right eye for 5/6 days. For the past 5 days my left arm has felt heavy but not in pain, as has my left leg. I must also mention that the day before these symptoms came about I was out shopping all day and walked for 5/6 hours, only eating food at 1:00 p.m, only to go on to drink roughly 15 units of alcohol that night with minimal sleep. I've spent most of the past 3/4 days asleep trying to get back to normal but that hasn't helped. I went to the doctor and he says that I have trapped a nerve in my neck from the way I slept and that's causing the sensation in my arm, but said nothing about my leg. I have also been shaking in my left hand. That's as much as I can think of, if I remember anything I'll add it but thank you to anyone who reads and responds!
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Re: I'm 16 and think I have ALS
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 02:24:28 PM »
Welcome to anxietyzone. Your symptoms seem attributable to anxiety and not ALS, at your age.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Online Roman

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 02:39:38 PM »
The possibility of you having als is slim and none at your age. Your symptoms don't even come close to als. Don't worry it was all the walking you did.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 04:32:34 PM »
Welcome to the "16 and deathly afraid of ALS!" Club!, I'm driving this bandwagon. I'm so afraid and it's good to know that I'm not alone in my fears. Your symptoms don't resemble ALS in any way.

Me personally, I have twitching that started in my right arm a couple weeks ago, shifted to my thighs and calves last week, and has now localized into my left foot for some reason. This fear brings me to tears!!! Do not fall into the trap that I did. I'm so aware of every little twitch and sensation now and it sends my anxiety sky high.

Facts to support how irrational our fear is: neurologists laugh when we suggest ALS as a possibility at our age. Has it happened? Yeah.  But here are some numbers to show you how rare it is.

Only 0.03% of ALS Patients are younger than 38 OR older than 92. 5% are younger than 47. The average age of diagnosis is 64-67. The rate of incidence in the general public without considering age differential is between 1 and 2 in 100,000. With age differential factored in, the incidence rate in people younger than 38 is 1 in 165,000,000. Yup, that's right. 1 in 165,000,000.

We're 16. We're in an age group where this disease is unfathomably rare, not to mention the disease is already extremely rare to begin with! Besides, you really don't have any true symptoms, anyhow.
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline Roxy2012

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 04:46:11 PM »
You are way too young to be worrying about ALS much less any other disease!

Btw teen drinking is very bad...  :angry-smiley-034: lol ;) jk
Bookmark and Share